VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Nice Surprise Gift

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:09 pm

A friend of mine owns one of the local Chinese restaurants. He called me yesterday and said that he was tired of the upkeep and maintenence of the two 55 gallon fish tanks. He asked me if I would take them off of his hands. I gladly obliged. Ironically I have no current use for the aquariums at the moment so I am letting a friend use one and we are storing the other. The fluorescent lights were much needed bonus however, I was actually getting ready to start shopping for some.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:34 pm

Pretty sweet. I still wish I kept fish but the upkeep wasn't for me. I have a beta now and he is wonderful Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 pm

I like betta's and labyrinth fish in general are my favorite group. I have three fish tanks and would like more but do not have the time or space. Doing partial water changes on the aquariums as well as all of the salamander tanks once a week takes about two hours and I am already hearing about it from the wife:) So no more fish tanks for me in the near future.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:47 pm

Thanks! I just learned about the labyrinth organ; very neat!
Back to top Go down
cootees

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Congrats on the find. Aquarium fish were one of my other hobbies. The bichers (polypterus family) were always my fav. Heres a vid from a while back of a few of my own.

Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm

That big one looked kinda like a snake head. I would get back into tanks in a heart beat if I could own one legally.
Back to top Go down
cootees

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 pm

You can get bowfins. Those are a real close relative to the snakehead just without the aggression. Personally a snakehead would be nice to own but I've seen videos of those things breaking glass aquariums. Too much liability in owning one even if it were legal.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:47 pm

I had two adult Oscars and a 18-24" red tailed cat in a 180 and watching them fight over food was enough for me. Good point. I would really love to take a fishing trip and catch some snake heads though. I've watched the videos and they seem like more fun to catch than most fresh water fish.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:23 pm

I keep one salt tank and one pond, koi and make that good import Japanese koi are my favorites. In salt I just love a reef setting.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:49 pm

I've kept many different fish in my lifetime and will keep more in the future. I loved my oscars. I love my goldfish and koi. I have a couple of platies right now and an empty tank waiting for ME to find a home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:07 pm

Great video! Bichirs are another favorite of mine. I have only experimented with a few species in the past however they are definitely a group that I will play with again.
Chip
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:08 pm

Have you noticed that at corporation stores like Petsmart, the bichirs are often dead in the tanks? Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:26 pm

I don't go there but I would guess they don't know what to feed them. Not hard to keep if you know that. Any some good water quality goes a long way.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Here's a video of my old oscars ... almost made me cry. They liked to be hand fed and petted:

Last edited by Focal on Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Vary nice set up. Laughing you were good at it.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Quote :
That big one looked kinda like a snake head. I would get back into tanks in a heart beat if I could own one legally

A long time ago, there used to be pet store on 21st St. that had one. The owner would sell customers mice to be dropped in the snake head's tank. One guy bought 4 while I was there the snakehead would just inhale each mouse with blood shooting out its gills. Probably not the best food for it but I wonder if they ever eat small mammals in the wild since they can briefly move out of water, maybe like crocodiles waiting on the water's edge.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks. It was originally suppose to be a shark tank and then, thankfully, it dawned on me how lazy I am and upkeep would be a pain. That tank was less maintenance than my 55gal saltwater.

I put well over 3-4 grand into that tank and got lucky when I sold it all for $400.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:25 pm

DaganGecko wrote:
Have you noticed that at corporation stores like Petsmart, the bichirs are often dead in the tanks? Sad

I have. They also give them names like "dinosaur fish" in order to make them more appealing to kids. While I do agree that they appear very prehistoric, they are certainly not suitable for the typical 10 gallon community tank (which is where I'm sure most of them end up). Petsmart is not my favorite store by any means however I do applaude them for not carrying baby iguanas, Burmese pythons, and other herp species which will grow too large for the average kid hobbyist to comfortably house. I suppose that it would be asking too much for them to do the same with fish.

Focal...that is/was a beautiful aquarium. It was obviously very well taken care of.

Chip
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:58 pm

Thanks Chip!

Jabberwocky Dragons wrote:
Quote :
That big one looked kinda like a snake head. I would get back into tanks in a heart beat if I could own one legally

A long time ago, there used to be pet store on 21st St. that had one. The owner would sell customers mice to be dropped in the snake head's tank. One guy bought 4 while I was there the snakehead would just inhale each mouse with blood shooting out its gills. Probably not the best food for it but I wonder if they ever eat small mammals in the wild since they can briefly move out of water, maybe like crocodiles waiting on the water's edge.

I wouldn't doubt it. I think that's the biggest problem with them. They eat everything! I remember watching a video of an animal that I can't remember, fall from a tree and the snake head slammed it. You don't get that kind of thoughtless feeding response out of most freshwater Northern American fish that I know of. It's like they don't even care if it might kill them. Gotta love invasive species that have no concern for their own life LOL

I also had a great chance to get a piar of piranha's once and luckily passed. I think both piranha's and snake heads are very illegal.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:08 pm

Piranha yes in this state can be got else where, snakehead is federal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nice Surprise Gift   

Back to top Go down

Nice Surprise Gift
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1