VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Make a suggestion on my new acquisition

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:55 pm

I have this new exo terra enclosure that's about 12"x12"x12" and it fit's perfectly on my little table. I am undecided on it's occupant and wanted some suggestions on what you think would make a good pet for this setup.

I am looking for something that will not outgrow this enclosure, would be fine at a room temp of 80 (although heating would not be a problem) and can eat dubia roaches.

I've been thinking a Pacman frog although I was hoping on planting some of it and I heard they love to uproot plants. Also open to insect and amphibian suggestions.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:48 pm

I have always advocated giving captive animals as much room as possible. Whether they are CB or WC we are still keeping wild animals in our homes and we owe it to them to provide the best environment possible. So the reason for me getting on the soapbox is to point out that a 12" square enclosure is not that large. With all of that being said there are actually quite a few "mini"herps that would do well in something that size but unless you are able to extract tiny roaches from your colony you may have to switch to ff's, bean beetles, pinheads, etc. Right off the top of my head I would think dwarf chameleons, Lygodactylus sp geckos, smaller species of tarantulas, frogs, and salamanders (if the room is cool), the one Phelsuma (cannot recall the name at the moment). A pair of Eurydactylodes agricole would work well in an enclosure that size. I'm sure that there are many others but this is what comes to mind off the top of my head. You are correct about pacman frogs and plants although conceivibly some mounted epiphytes may work.
Chip
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:08 pm

I think a pair of fire-bellied toads would be neat if you could build a water area as well as some climbing things. Tarantulas are cool as well. Fire-bellied newts would love it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:15 pm

Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:16 pm

id go with a scarlet kingsnake or a moleking they stay around the 24inch range and would take a while to get that size
Back to top Go down
gatto152
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:17 pm

dart frogs nick dart frogs
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:49 pm

i was gunna say frogs on a tarantula... even though the tarantula would scare the bajesus out of me.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:57 pm

smb2585 wrote:
i was gunna say frogs on a tarantula... even though the tarantula would scare the bajesus out of me.

im not sure how the frogs would like this......
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 pm

smd58 wrote:
A Indian ornamental
http://www.swiftinverts.com/species/PrF1.jpg

that is one cool looking spider
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:38 am

I would not put a snake in this tank. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 am

I would have to say dart frogs too, or a Greenbottle Blue Tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens).
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 am

Wow, awesome suggestions! Some of the spiders look exciting.

I prepped the tank last night and put river rock, sphagnum and soil for the drainage. After that, and adding a water bowl, there is a lot less room than I originally thought. I think I've decided to steer away from herps at the moment and look into insects.

I've been looking into an emperor scorpion but I think they will still run tight on space. I would like to plant most of the tank and was also thinking of a mantis. I know nothing about them at the moment but I imagine the would benefit for the greater surface area below and above all the plants.

It's amazing how quick this little box filled up so quick. I'll post some pictures in a bit.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 am

If it were me I would probably lean toward something that is at least semi aboreal so that the vertical space is not wasted.
Chip
Back to top Go down
MADexotics
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:35 am

With that size enclosure I would definitely stick with an invert of some sort. I'm so not a huge fan of spiders. But some of those are pretty neat looking....
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:00 pm

I second a spider. I'm not a fan either but I have seen some pretty incredible ones lately that seem like they would be pretty neat to have. From what I've read, there's no animal with easier care.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:05 pm

Here's what I did last night. I still need to pull the bowl and I want to paint it gray. Not really sure what to use. I threw a coconut hide in there for fun and recessed it into the dirt a bit.

Does the dirt look deep enough? The plants I am using will have very little root. Sorry for the low light.

Some plants I am using:
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:15 pm

My scorpion rooted every plant I had in his tank. I had pothos, kalenchoe, and spider plants, but the hens and chicks are really resilient plants, they would probably be ok if you chose a scorpion. Sanford is in a 10 gal with water dish, and a bark hide and he seems to have plenty of room, he likes to climb to, so that would make use of some vertical space.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Lokielani wrote:
My scorpion rooted every plant I had in his tank. I had pothos, kalenchoe, and spider plants, but the hens and chicks are really resilient plants, they would probably be ok if you chose a scorpion. Sanford is in a 10 gal with water dish, and a bark hide and he seems to have plenty of room, he likes to climb to, so that would make use of some vertical space.

I'm not sure what these are called (below), but I got them at walmart several years ago in a small, mixed pot. There were six plants and all died but this. It never needs water, steadily produces 6-8 plants a year, endures all temps, and can live through anything! I keep it in my foyer and my son will rip out some babies and throw them behind the plant table and I won't notice for weeks. I just stick them back in dirt and they are OK. I'd swear they were fake if they didn't grow LOL. They have small roots and I will be trying a few of these, maybe even mount some tiny cups on the back wall.

Back to top Go down
illustreouz

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:25 pm

wow that greenbottle tarantula is pretty awesome
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Quote :
I'm not sure what these are called (below),

Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like an aloe vera plant?
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:59 pm

It definately looks like one of aloe species. They can be very hardy plants!
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:32 pm

It's a Haworthia species, a succulent from South Africa. They generally require a good deal of light to do well in vivariums.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Foster Reves wrote:
It's a Haworthia species, a succulent from South Africa. They generally require a good deal of light to do well in vivariums.
Chip

Bingo. After googling Haworthia, most of the species in the original pot were Haworthia. It does have an aloe look, but it's tough skinned and armored.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Make a suggestion on my new acquisition    

Back to top Go down

Make a suggestion on my new acquisition
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1