VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Questions about live plants

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Questions about live plants   Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:06 pm

I'd like some advice on live plants in a terrarium if anyone has any experience with them. I'm upgrading my crocodile skink to an exo-terra 18x18x24 cage and I want to do a couple of live plants for her. I was thinking I'd do a layer of Zoomed Hydroballs and Eco Earth on top of that for her substrate, but I've read that the Hydroballs need a layer of mesh in between them and the substrate so would some regular mesh from Home Depot or Lowes do the trick? Or do I need something special?

And does anyone have suggestions for where to buy the plants from? I was thinking of just a local greenhouse (probably Great Big Greenhouse if anyone's been there) but I'm worried about any chemicals they might use on their plants. What sort of plants could you all recommend for a high humidity environment? I was thinking pothos, bromeliads, and maybe moss. I was thinking I'd keep the plants potted because I've read that can be easier than putting them right in the soil, or is that wrong?

My skink is the first reptile I've owned in ages (up until now its just been the axolotls) and I really want to do right by her, so any advice is appreciated! Smile
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Questions about live plants   Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:51 pm

When I was researching Chameleons, I saw a big list of safe plants. If you check out www.chameleonforums.com, I'm sure you will find that list. It is quite extensive.

Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Questions about live plants   Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Thanks, I've seen a few of lists of safe plants, but that's got to be the most extensive. Any idea if plants from a regular greenhouse would be safe if they're rinsed well or would that be too risky?
Back to top Go down
bcasketmaker

PostSubject: Re: Questions about live plants   Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:53 am

I have purchased and used plants from great big green house with no issues, but, I must warn you they do usesome foliar fertilizers. Just ask them when you go in what kinds they use specifically and on what schedule. If the proper precautions and a waiting period are used in conjunction with rinsing the plant ls then they will be safe for use in the terrarium with no worries. Much luck to you in your searches.
Back to top Go down
Foster Reves
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Questions about live plants   Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:15 pm

I have kept many plants in many enclosures over the years and have almost always purchased mine from Lowes and Home depot. As long as the animal in question is not going to munch on the plant (and tribolonotus will not) then I do not worry about toxicity. I always repot them in a perlite free mixture and leave them out of the terrarium for about a month so that any residual fertilizers can dissipate. With all of that being said however unfortunately most of the plants sold in big box stores are not going to do well long term in vivariums. Some just need too much sunlight and even though they may initially seem to do ok eventually they will wither and die. Others that do well often will get very large and eventually outgrow the enclosure. Some of the latter such as many aroids can be pruned. Speaking of aroids pothos and philodendrons are some of the best choices. Most of the commonly available species are difficult to kill even for those with the blackest thumb. In my experience the worst part is pothos and the like will eventually overtake an enclosure if not kept in check. Anyway, just some random thoughts.
Chip
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Questions about live plants   Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I picked up a pothos and a croton for now because I've always had pretty good luck keeping them alive in the past. If all goes well I was thinking I might eventually add a bromeliad to the terrarium too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions about live plants   

Back to top Go down

Questions about live plants
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1