VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Garter snake feeding question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigWiddle

PostSubject: Garter snake feeding question   Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:43 pm

My partner and I work in a community garden, and part of the educational program is discussing types of animals that are found on a garden/on a farm. We are thinking of adding a snake to our educational group. We were thinking of getting a Garter snake, because they eat a varied diet. However, is it okay to only feed a garter snake fish and worms? We wanted to make sure before we committed fully.

Side note: Is there another species that would work better for our educational purposes? It would need to be docile enough to be held by young children (8+) and teenagers.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Garter snake feeding question   Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:33 pm

BigWiddle wrote:
My partner and I work in a community garden, and part of the educational program is discussing types of animals that are found on a garden/on a farm. We are thinking of adding a snake to our educational group. We were thinking of getting a Garter snake, because they eat a varied diet. However, is it okay to only feed a garter snake fish and worms? We wanted to make sure before we committed fully.

Side note: Is there another species that would work better for our educational purposes? It would need to be docile enough to be held by young children (8+) and teenagers.
I have two garter snakes, one "wild-caught" (found injured in the garage), the other was purchased as a baby from a pet store.

Both are little doo-doo heads that hate being handled.  They musk, bite, and run.  I wouldn't recommend one for a snake that you want handled by a lot of people.  Go for a king or milk snake instead.

Even black rat snakes are more tolerant of handling than garters, I found a juvenile in my foyer last year (and my first thought was dang it I have an escapee!).  I picked it up to put it back outside and it was just super-chill.  I should have kept it and put the garters out, I think we all would have been happier in the end!

Young garters will eat night crawlers, easy enough to find them at a bait shop.  My two are old enough now to be on large-ish fuzzy or small-ish hopper mice.  Avoid fish, most feeder fish have thiaminase which will eventually kill your snake.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
BigWiddle

PostSubject: Re: Garter snake feeding question   Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Thank you for all the information! We will keep this all in-mind while searching for the perfect one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Garter snake feeding question   

Back to top Go down

Garter snake feeding question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1