VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Moving with reptiles/animals in general

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Moving with reptiles/animals in general   Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:49 am

We are moving to Missouri at the end of the month and we will be transporting all our animals. This is going to be tough as I've never had to move them so far before. It's more than 15 hours in the car. So I want to do this right. I got some insulated boxes from work that our tropical fish come in and I have one insulated reptile box. I have 17 snakes, 2 leopard geckos, and 1 bearded dragon to move. I can possibly get more boxes but then I run out of space in the car. The plan is to tow the car behind the moving truck and pack the car with the reptiles and feeder rats. We are euthanizing all but a few rats to raise up as breeders to start the colony over (10 females, 5 males and the 4 adults my boyfriend is keeping as pets). The guinea pig will also have to be in the towed car along with the roach colony.

Any advice on how to do this safely and properly so that I don't lose any animals? I have 72 hour heat packs and I plan on not feeding the snakes 2 weeks ahead of the trip to make sure their bellies are empty (today is the last meal before we leave). Only the corn snake babies are getting food next week.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
CM5150
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Moving with reptiles/animals in general   Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:46 am

Are you going to bag the snakes prior to boxing them? With 17 be sure not to double stack them and with it being the end of March you may not need heat packs. I would pack them like I was going to ship.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Moving with reptiles/animals in general   Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:57 am

Ughh, I hated doing this. We moved across the state with 20+ bps, 15 bearded dragons, around 60 rats, 3 dubia colonies, 2 dogs, 3 ferrets, and a pacman frog. It was a theoretical 4 hour drive turned 7 hours, but if you're doing it straight through, it would be my same strategy for a 15 hour drive.

I would forget the insulated boxes. You're not going to have room in the car and they're not necessary for this. Bag up all of your bps individually and place them in a large sterlite or rubbermaid container. If it's going to be colder, especially at night, you can tape a heat pack to the inside of the lid but it probably won't be that cold.

Bearded dragon and leopard geckos will do a fine in their own small sterlite or rubbermaid containers. Don't forget air holes! You will definitely probably not need heat packs for them. Bearded dragons can handle overnight lows in the 50s.

If you're bringing your dubia enclosure, just keep the dubia inside. If you're tossing it due to space and plan on getting a new one there, pack the dubia in a snake bag.

I got a heavy duty rubbermaid container for our rats. I cut out most of the lid and attached hardware cloth with hot glue and liberal amounts of duct tape. Don't skimp on the duct tape! Buy Gorilla tape. They can overheat and die very easily so it's extremely important to give them as much air flow as possible.

Tips. It is impossible to overestimate how much time it will take you to pack and load. Seriously. Get as much done as early as possible. If you are planning on loading early in the morning, pack up all of the animals into snake bags and containers during the night before. Don't plan on doing it while you're loading. We had a lot of stuff and the animals enclosures and items took up A LOT more time and space than I planned for.

If you're moving yourself (like Budget or Uhaul), hire some laborers to help you. You can find people on Uhaul.com even if you're not using UHaul for the truck. If you have people helping you here, at least hire some for your destination. You are going to be exhausted and they will be worth every penny. You can usually hire them for a minimum of 4 hours. If you sound them out discreetly, some might be willing to work longer but directly for you so they make more and you pay less (no company cut).
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Moving with reptiles/animals in general   Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:04 am

^

Pretty much what Brian said.  

Just make sure you pay attention to the temps in the car.  It's getting warmer outside and the car can heat up quickly.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Moving with reptiles/animals in general   Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:34 pm

The car will be towed so we won't be able to watch the temps that closely.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Moving with reptiles/animals in general   Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:40 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
The car will be towed so we won't be able to watch the temps that closely.
I would get some reflectors to put in the windows, or even some kind of car cover, so the sun can't shine directly into the car and overheat it if you're travelling on a warm sunny day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Moving with reptiles/animals in general   Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:17 pm

Now that I got to my laptop I can reply a bit better.

We are traveling mostly at night and the temps are forecast to be in the upper 60's when we leave, and at least here in VA it'll be a low of 55 with storms. I don't think the car will overheat as we SHOULD arrive the morning of the following day.

Will thin pillowcases work as snake bags?

We don't have much time to make temporary cages for the rats like you described so we are kind of stuck moving them in glass tanks with lid clips. We will be stopping every few hours to check for escapees, temps and to let the dog go to the bathroom.

I'm moving to Springfield, Missouri, so I'm in the process of trying to find some discussion boards like this one for that area and seeing how the reptile community is out there. Also need to look up local laws.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Moving with reptiles/animals in general   Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:21 pm

Just an update. What was supposed to be a 15-16 hour drive, became a 23 hour drive, but we made it safe and sound and all the reptiles and other pets made the trip (with the exception of one mouse who wasn't the healthiest to begin with). The reptile room is set up and everyone appears to be fine. The hognose decided to take a big poop during the move which was a nice find. cryingwithlaughter

Now I need to try to find some other reptile enthusiasts here in Springfield, MO. I do plan on coming back to Virginia when I've saved enough money so if its okay, I'd like to stay on this forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving with reptiles/animals in general   

Back to top Go down

Moving with reptiles/animals in general
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1