VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Bad time herping.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Bad time herping.   Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:04 am

I'm like the worst herper ever. Or Virginia is the worst. I'm not sure which it is. First question -- I'm mainly interested in seeing/observing snakes. Should I even bother during these more chilly temps?

I'm in Richmond. Where is a good place to look for snakes? I upturn logs, rocks, look in trees...I've only found like 5 snakes in Virginia. Ever -- in my life. In Richmond, Fluvanna, Charles City...

I spent 6 weeks in Louisiana this summer and found oodles of snakes, just while driving through Kisatchie National Park not even really looking. I also found many lizards, a box turtle, and many frogs and toads, as well as wild horses and hogs, turkeys and deer. I didn't even have to upturn logs and rocks. And when I did....the success was amazing. I saw many different species.

Is Virginia a dead zone for snakes, at least comparatively? I know they are here -- why do they seem so far and few? Why is my success so poor? Where/when should I be looking if I want to observe snakes in or around Richmond?

Last edited by Running_Elk on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Bad time herping.   Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:06 am

After going to Louisiana I'm just itching to herp somewhere where I come back seeing something other than a grey squirrel, a bird, or a hipster with their dog.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Bad time herping.   Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:00 am

in Virginia the peak snake activity for snakes is May-June with a smaller peak in activity in the fall. That said, you can find snakes *almost* year round depending on the species and temperatures.

If you like shoot me a pm and I'll give you a good location in the Richmond Area.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Bad time herping.   Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:53 am

I found a juvi black rat snake in my foyer one evening earlier this week. I thought at first one of my garters had escaped, LOL.

Since it was warm in the house and cold outside he spent the night in a critter keeper with a bowl of water and some aspen, and was let go the following morning in a nice sunny spot in the garden.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Bad time herping.   Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:35 pm

That was nice of you to do. Might want to figure out how he got in and patch the hole so rats seeking warmth don't follow.

A couple months ago, I found a dead crow in our basement. I had to scratch my head for a minute on that one. Turned out it flew down the chimney and out the connected oil furnace. Fixed the hole in the hardware cloth on the chimney cap.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Bad time herping.   Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Our entryway to the foyer has the main door and a glass storm door. The storm door doesn't seal all the way along the bottom edge, and the main door had been open earlier since it was one of the nicer days this week, so I suspect that's how he snuck in.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad time herping.   

Back to top Go down

Bad time herping.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Herpetological Society News and Events :: Field Herping-
Jump to: