VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Humane Dispatching

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Humane Dispatching    Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:46 pm

Now that I finally got some rat breeding going (one litter), I need to start thinking of humane euthanasia since I plan to freeze some for later use and maybe selling extras I don't need. I've used dry ice in the past but want to hear what you all recommend.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:07 pm

Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:14 pm

I use to do it with a paintball co2 tank myself, same method.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:46 pm

I also use the paintball CO2 tank. Try to find a local gas supplier or paintball shop that will fill it for you. I've never had a full at a big box sporting goods store. Kind of like getting your propane tank exchanged outside of Xmart versus getting your empty refilled at a farm store, Uhaul, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
cornsnakes2014
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:14 am

I've heard you can use baking soda an vinger.
Back to top Go down
Blackwater

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:06 pm

A few years back, I was pretty heavy into rodent breeding, freezing and selling. I used a cattle watering tub (galvanized) with fresh aspen bedding in it about 3/4" deep. I put a pan of water with a pound of dry ice in it. I bought the dry ice from "City Ice" (I think it was called) off Rt. 10 in Chester... anyway, within a few minutes, I would start putting rodents in the tub. They all died very quickly. I'm sure there are more humane ways to do this, but it worked well for me. For smaller batches you could use CO2 from a paintball type cylinder... just remember to be SAFE so as not to end up dead like the mice.
The last year I raised rodents, I figure I froze close to 12,000 rats like this... just to give you an idea of the numbers I dealt with... also raised mice and used the same method for killing them.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:24 am

I've used dry ice before and I think this will be easier for me to get. Is it cheaper than a CO2 tank? Part of me wants to make a business out of breeding feeders so I'm not sure how big I'm going to go.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:13 pm

You can get 20 oz CO2 tanks for about $15 from a local paintball store. That does not coem with the actual CO2 in it. Getting the actual CO2 costs me $5. But sometimes my guy will give it to me for free.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:44 pm

ClarkeReptiles wrote:
I've used dry ice before and I think this will be easier for me to get. Is it cheaper than a CO2 tank? Part of me wants to make a business out of breeding feeders so I'm not sure how big I'm going to go.

I prefer using a CO2 tank. I have a paintball sized one with a regulator so you have full control. I start out with a little so they calmly go to sleep and then turn it up to put them under. Going full blast immediately causes them to panic which I want no part of. I don't know if using dry ice causes initial panic or not.

If your business outgrows a paintball canister, you can relatively cheaply get a large CO2 tank filled from a gas company.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Don

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:24 pm

I researched this several years back. While CO2 works, it does cause some trauma and can cause pain. The quickest most humane method I've found to be cervical dislocation. Many people don't like it because you have to go hands on, rather than allow a gas to do it for you. But, it is very quick. Not saying one way or another is better, just what I've found that works best for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:27 pm

I have never done cervical dislocation. Id like to use the method that causes the least amount of suffering but I would need someone to show me how to do this.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:41 pm

It is fairly easy though I do not like to do it. But I had to because I ran out of CO2. Just google "cervical dislocation mouse" and there is one website that tells you how to do it step by step. The rat is dead within seconds after the procedure is done. Plus with this, you do not have to spend extra money like you do with CO2.
Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:26 pm

If you choose cervical dislocation PLEASE fully commit to the full range of motion needed to complete the task. i mention this from first hand experience, and although I am not proud of it, I feel it needs to be shared.
The first time I tried this method was well before the Internet and explained to me from a fellow enthusiast. I hesitated directly after what I thought was an appropriate rearward jerk. This resulted in a partial spinal separation and a horribly painful death for the prey item. Needless to say it was a very traumatizing experience. From that point on I made sure to fully commit to the action being taken and follow through. With time, you will get a feel for it and most of the time actually be able to feel the skull separate from the spine.
I will add that three decades later I prefer CO2, provided it is done properly. As another poster mentioned, you have to introduce the gas slowly or the rodents seem to display what can only be described as fear.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:44 am

Don wrote:
I researched this several years back.  While CO2 works, it does cause some trauma and can cause pain.  The quickest most humane method I've found to be cervical dislocation.  Many people don't like it because you have to go hands on, rather than allow a gas to do it for you.  But, it is very quick.  Not saying one way or another is better, just what I've found that works best for me.  

This is very true, and even more so for rabbits.  Rabbits are best dispatched by cervical dislocation, I see people using co2 for rabbits and rabbits will sit there for a few minutes before falling out for gas.  

I'd assume most people fail at cervical dislocation or don't have the heart to do it in a lot of cases.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:03 am

Id like to learn to do cervical dislocation if it is the most humane method. They may be food, but they still deserve to go out with as little pain as possible. I eventually plan on breeding rabbits as well as my boyfriend wants to get into retics and burms.

Anyone know where I can learn first hand how to do this? I'd rather see someone do it in person and show me the proper way to do it. I don't trust just going on youtube, watching a video, and then trying it on my own.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Humane Dispatching    

Back to top Go down

Humane Dispatching
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: Feeding and Feeders-
Jump to: