VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Herping Week 1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BenVizi
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Herping Week 1   Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:58 am

I'm going to start a weekly post on the things I've found herping each week.
Week 1 totaled 4 northern watersnakes, 1 brown snake, and a hen mallard lol

Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Herping Week 1   Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:22 am

Very cool, I don't get to go out and do much herping.

I need to make it out and do some camping trips and such.  Just seems like almost all my spare time is eaten away lately
Back to top Go down
BenVizi
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Herping Week 1   Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:23 pm

I'll be doing some camping in South Georgia next month when I go back! Don't wait until the summer to go or you won't be doing any sleeping lol
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Herping Week 1   Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Nice finds!
You're not bleeding enough for four watersnakes. Smile
How did you catch the mallard?

When my oldest daughter was 6 we were canoeing in a swampy area with several mud islands. The islands were covered in grass and shrubs. The water level in this area was about 6-7 inches deep. My daughter saw several Canada geese on one of the islands. The island was about at long as a basketball court and about half as wide. I paddled us over for a closer look. As we reached the island my daughter turned around and asked, "If I catch one, can I keep it as a pet?" Sure, I said knowing that there was no way a little 6 year old wearing rubber boots could catch a wild goose. So I sat back, open a cool soda and let her run off some energy. As I relaxed in the warm sun enjoying the tranquil sounds of nature, I could hear her running and splashing after the poor island creatures. All the sudden I hear, "Got ya!" and a goose honking like something was killing it. Through the shrubs and grass comes my 6 year old with an adult goose, one hand holding the goose's body the other holding it's neck just below the head. With the goose going ballistic, my daughter was trying to shout over it, "Dad, can I keep it!? His name is Meanie and he can stay in my room....."  After our talk about the goose not being a suitable indoor pet, she let it go. My daughter was covered from head to toe with mud and goose poop and as she got back into the canoe I noticed her boots were missing. I asked her about her boots and she said, "They were slowing me down. Also, they got stuck in the mud and came off my feet." We searched the island, but didn't find the boots.
Back to top Go down
BenVizi
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Herping Week 1   Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:55 pm

The watersnakes were pretty cold but were striking wildly! The mallard couldn't fly, either it was injured or someone let it go so I just grabbed her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Herping Week 1   

Back to top Go down

Herping Week 1
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Herpetological Society News and Events :: Field Herping-
Jump to: