VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Indoor photography

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Indoor photography   Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:01 am

What is the best type of light bulb to use for photographing reptiles indoors?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Indoor photography   Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:33 pm

That's a subjective question. But here's what I like to use: "daylight" led bulbs with some sort of defuser. There are many DYI or even inexpensive commercial light diffusers (see youtube and Amazon). My favorite consists of a pvc frame covered with a cheap white sheet. I'll usually set-up a naturalistic setting and use a fake stand-in animal to take a few shots and make adjustments. Once I've achieved the look I want, I position the live animal and start shooting. The white balance on cameras and the ability to adjust photos after the fact (image editing software) make the type (color) of bulb less important than it use to be. In the old days using incandescent or other heat generating bulbs made photographing fast moving or fast moving and venomous reptiles much more of a challenge.

For small herps or coiled snakes often just diffusing or bouncing the flash off a light surface provides enough light.

Back to top Go down

Indoor photography
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1