VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

RI?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: RI?   Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:29 pm

Hey everyone,
I noticed 2 days ago that my baby ball python is making some squeaking noise every 30 seconds or so. Could this be a sign of a respiratory infection? She shed 4 days ago so I don't think it has anything to do with shedding.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: RI?   Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:36 pm

I also read online that if the snake has any sort of foam or thick saliva in the mouth then it is most likely a RI. But my snakes mouth looks just like it normally would. Not very liquidy and not bone dry. Could it still be a RI?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: RI?   Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:48 am

Does your snake keep her mouth slighty open. Usually the sounds will be clicking type noises?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: RI?   Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:50 pm

What are temperatures inside the snake's enclosure?

Sometimes a small piece of unshed skin will partially obstruct or interfere with the airflow in a nostril causing a strange sound.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: RI?   Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:32 pm

Her mouth is always closed and the sound sounds like a very soft whistle. In the rack, the cool side is around 78 degrees and the hot side is around 88 degrees. I took some shed off of her nose a couple of days ago but she is still making the noise. I am making a vet appointment for Monday to get her checked out.
Thanks
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: RI?   Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:35 pm

Wish you and the snake the best. Let us know what your vet discovers.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: RI?   Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:09 pm

ok thanks.
Back to top Go down
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: RI?   Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:59 pm

So I took my snake to the vet today and the vet said that as of now, she is not 100% sure if my snake has a respiratory infection. She said that my snake is not showing the symptoms but could get worse if she has a RI. The vet also said that I should have all of my snakes on newspaper instead of aspen sani-chips. Do you guys think that aspen is better?
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: RI?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:32 am

Aspen shouldn't be a problem, except it does tend to mold quickly if it gets damp.

You can try switching to paper in case the bedding is dusty - some brands are - and keep her warm side about 90*F and her humidity a touch higher than normal. If she's squeaking due to an RI that will help her fight it off, and if it's due to a bit of old/stuck shed in her nose the higher humidity will help soften it so she can get rid of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
neeckow123
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: RI?   Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:41 pm

Ok thanks. That is what I did.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RI?   

Back to top Go down

RI?