VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

redfoot or cherry-head tortoise...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tortoiselady

PostSubject: redfoot or cherry-head tortoise...   Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:54 pm

We are trying to find a tortoise either redfoot or cherry head...any suggestions or advise will be appreciated...
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: redfoot or cherry-head tortoise...   Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:20 am

I've worked with and produced this species extensively in the past, and will say they are a great tortoise to work with, one of the easiest to keep, breed quite easily, and are very prolific. If you want some truly exceptional stock try to get hold of Joe Terry down in Florida. His animals are truly outstanding, very colorful, and tend to be on the smaller size when full grown.
Back to top Go down
tortoiselady

PostSubject: Re: redfoot or cherry-head tortoise...   Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:08 am

thank you sooooo much for the tip...i've also contacted a company "underground reptiles" and am hoping they can help out. We had a horrible experience with a dude out in las vegas who sent one so heated that it "cooked" before it got here & the replacement lived about a month before it died...Not Good...We've had previous experience with reps and know this wasn't cool at all... so very much appreciated and a much happier experience to come thanks to you!
Back to top Go down
Raynva77

PostSubject: Re: redfoot or cherry-head tortoise...   Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:42 am

check fauna classifieds
Back to top Go down
Nocturnalnature
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: redfoot or cherry-head tortoise...   Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:08 pm

Raynva77 wrote:
check fauna classifieds

While Fauna and Kingsnake can be a great place to find animals, make sure you use a bit of caution. Many sellers are simply brokers, pet shops, etc.. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing, the animals are often housed with different species or are not screened for illness before being sold.
The reason this is so important with tortoises is Mycoplasma. Unfortunately, it has become a relatively widespread problem in the hobby and is, what I consider, a "dirty little secret". While it won't kill the animal if properly addressed and treated, it will cause chronic bouts of runny nose, general deconditioning, and require a prolonged treatment course each time it flares up. For this reason the very first question I'd ask from a seller is if the animal has ever experienced symptoms of a "cold". While they may or may not answer your question honestly, at least you are taking a pro active step in trying to avoid this problem.
This is why I encourage purchasing direct from the breeder if at all possible.
Again, best of luck in your search!

Last edited by Nocturnalnature on Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tortoiselady

PostSubject: Re: redfoot or cherry-head tortoise...   Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:22 pm

wow...these poor little guys - what a start to a long life...thanks sooo mcuh for all your help; it's encouraging & it's a long wait for the reptile show in March in Richmond! Best to you and all your critters for a wonderful christmas season.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: redfoot or cherry-head tortoise...   

Back to top Go down

redfoot or cherry-head tortoise...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1