VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hope this guy is OK.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Don

PostSubject: Hope this guy is OK.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:14 pm

This is not going to help convince people that herps in the home are good. scratch

Pet Snake Bites Man
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Wow!!!, this article is much worse than the other one. Unbelievably anti-snake. It concluded with this completely unsupported and ridiculous gem...

Quote :
"With venomous snakes, a lot of people get them and bring them home and then realize the snakes are venomous," says pet and snake expert Craig Pelke.

So, anyone ever bring home a spitting cobra or eyelash viper and upon reaching home, go "oh ****, this thing's venomous?!"

Regardless, the guy who got bit clearly knew it was venomous since he properly kept it in a double locked enclosure so I'm not sure why the snake expert even felt the need to say that. I googled Craig Pelke out curiosity and it turns out he's the herp curator for the Virginia Zoo in Norfolk Shocked Didn't see that one coming... You would think he of all people would know better than to stoke the anti herp fires.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:49 pm

That's probably the same guy that called that ball python they found in the dish wash "a deadly boa constrictor"
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:51 pm

Watch this video, tooooo funny:

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/military/Boa-found-in-Langley-military-housing

Travis Land ... different guy

Last edited by Focal X on Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 pm

I sent him a message on facebook. I doubt he will respond. Makes me not want to renew my zoo membership.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Just because you can change a light bulb, you are not a Electrician.
And just because you keep snakes you are not a expert.
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Nice article, joking! What the devil is wrong with the VA Zoo??
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:09 pm

Yeah Nick I remember that guy lol. IDIOT... I guess if I take a trip to the zoo I will have to find mr pelke
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:04 am

I've worked with Craig in an attempt to get a herp on a VA state license plate. I think he was either misquoted or the quote was taken out of context.
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:38 pm

I sure hope he didn't say that, makes him sound really stupid!
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:59 pm

Yes, it would be difficult to take the quote out of context since it is an entire sentence quoted, not just a few words that the reporter then used in his own sentence. It is possible that he was misquoted but again, it is an entire sentence, and if that's the case, this reporter is just blatantly making quotes up which should get him fired. If this is the case, Craig should do the herp community a service of complaining to the editor or at least making them run a correction.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt but I'm guessing he's standing by it if Clay never gets a response.

Quote :
I sent him a message on facebook. I doubt he will respond

I would be very eager to correct it if someone misquoted me saying something that absurd.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:04 pm

If you watch the video you can tell Craig's sound bite is abruptly cut-off. I can't really defend Craig, I don't know what he said nor do I know his opinion on venomous snakes in the private sector.

Instead of concerning ourselves with words that have already been spoken, we should be gearing-up for the knee-jerk legislation that will surely follow in the wake of this envenomation.
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:18 pm

I hope not, isn't Virginia a live free or die state? I am from Iowa, and you cannot keep anything remotely dangerous, except a spouse or kids! cryingwithlaughter
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:31 pm

It does concern me about the words spoken by the herp curator of the Virginia Zoo. I support the Virginia Zoo and give my hard earned money to support them each year. My opinion and inclination to do so in the future may change if the curator of my favorite animals there doesn't believe anyone else should enjoy caring for them but qualified zoo officials. He didn't say this specifically but this train of thought would necessarily lead from such a statement.

Any knee-jerk legislation will be largely influenced by the Virginia Zoo, especially the herp curator. The Columbus Zoo was instrumental in orchestrating the restrictive legislation in Ohio after the recent exotic animal slaughter.

Quote :
Meanwhile, the Columbus Zoo & Aquarium's Director Emeritus Jack Hanna told WSNY Sunny 95’s Dino & Stacy that Gov. John Kasich wants Ohio’s regulations on exotic pets - now among the weakest in the nation - to be among the country’s strongest.

“He said, ‘Jack, whatever’s done, I want to make sure of one thing. When we do this thing, it’s one of the strictest laws in the country,” Hanna said.

Quote :
Hanna, Lutz and others have been working with a task force to draft a framework for permanent legislation to enact stronger, enforceable Ohio laws restricting private ownership of exotic animals

http://kgmi.com/Jack-Hanna-called-FBI-after-death-threats/11313026. Clearly, Jack Hannah, in his capacity for the Columbus Zoo, is an integral part of pushing the new laws. There was a much better article I can't find in the Wall Street Journal about how several zoo members were part of a task force that recommended the extremely strict exotic animals laws. Their voice is a huge factor in convincing the politicians to vote for this bill. Some politicians are against it because of the damage it will to do to the economy for private breeders but are having a hard time standing against it when "the animal experts" are telling them the restrictions are fine.

It would be naive to think Virginia wouldn't look to its zoo for guidance in considering similar legislation. It would be nice to know where Mr. Pelke stands on the issue since he has no problem speaking out about it to the news.

Last edited by Jabberwocky Dragons on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Quote :
I am from Iowa, and you cannot keep anything remotely dangerous, except a spouse or kids!

cryingwithlaughter
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:34 pm

In Virginia there are no state laws restricting venomous reptiles. However there are several counties/cities within the state that have banned venomous reptiles. The last county I am aware of was Arlington. One irresponsible keeper triggered the legislation which was passed with in a matter of a couple/few weeks.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:49 pm

I think any knee-jerk legislation will be primarily pushed by politicians looking for re-election.
Back to top Go down
Cinder

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Things happen - even the most experienced handlers can be bitten. I love how the tone of the article reflects "How DARE he have a poisonous snake, how stupid!"
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:13 pm

jw wrote:

Instead of concerning ourselves with words that have already been spoken, we should be gearing-up for the knee-jerk legislation that will surely follow in the wake of this envenomation.

the words that are already spoken are the words that are usually brought back up when the legistlation tries to ban our reptiles. maybe you missed it but when crazy man in ohio let those animals loose, people were urging our governor to put a ban on reptiles... this story adds to that issue and will be brought back up again I am sure in the near future when the issue is brought up during elections for governor.
"Governor McDonnell supports banning exotic pets from being owned to protect our children from danger" or some stupid crap will come about. The last thing we need is someone else stating things that negatively impact our right to own these animals. All it takes is one person to have an influence on someone else. It's bad enough that people who are unfamiliar with our animals have their own opinions. We need to educate people on these animals properly and having people mis-identify animals or give wrong information about animals is NO help so yeah we do need to be concerned with the words that are already spoken.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:07 pm

I agree with you 100% that education is the key.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:36 pm

JW, your stances are quite confusing. You just spent the past several posts arguing that what a zoo official says doesn't matter. Yet now you agree that education and knowledge is the key scratch . As Stephanie points out, the words this guy says are a part of educating the public and politicians. The more you learn about the political process and who the players are, the more chance you have of stopping such legislation.

Politicians rarely pass these things on their own, they have to have political cover and experts to hide behind for almost any issue. I'm not sure why you think reptiles are exempt. I posted quotes and a link above which show that zoo officials can have a significant role in these types of legislation, even working hand in hand with the governor.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:16 pm

I'm sorry for your confusion. Please quote my statement that implies "past several posts arguing that what a zoo official says doesn't matter" as I can't seem to find it (them).

Also, please quote my post that you're interpreting as meaning "reptile are exempt from political issues".

Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:48 pm

Quote :
Instead of concerning ourselves with words that have already been spoken

If you thought what the zoo official said did matter, then why would you possibly say this?!

Quote :
I think any knee-jerk legislation will be primarily pushed by politicians looking for re-election

Your dismissal of the effect of lobbyists and others (such as the opinion of the herp zoo curator) in passing legislation. I did not say reptiles are exempt political issues (not sure why you put quotes around that) but that I do not understand why you think the usual train of lobbyists, interest groups, and experts are exempt from the political process as very pointedly put by you in your quote. Politicians only care about votes and money and absurd statements like the one by the Zoo Official influence the public and force politicians to vote a certain way.

Of course politicians are going to have a role in pushing any legislation through but why would you want people to not be aware of and focus on those behind the scenes that give the politicians their ammo and support?

This thread is beginning to get off track but I would happy to create a new thread where we can have a friendly debate on the political process, especially concerning the restriction of rights.

Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Brain, I'm not interested in arguing for the sake of arguing.

Last edited by jw on Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:44 pm

how does this hobby do so well considering PETA is based in Norfolk??
Back to top Go down
gatto152
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:48 pm

b_rickard wrote:
\

because they have me bounce
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:17 pm

b_rickard wrote:

I think alot of people whether they are into herps or not are not big supporters of PETA... Unless its "People Eating Tasty Animals" Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hope this guy is OK.   

Back to top Go down

Hope this guy is OK.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1