VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:57 am

Awesome how old?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:51 am

It's young, but I don't know its age. A hatchling from this year.
Back to top Go down
jareddtampa
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:15 pm

Sweet!
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:38 pm

Hopefully it survives has to be a rarity.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:33 pm

Very nice!!
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Wow! very nice indeed!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Oh yeah, I see those all the time. Almost as frequently as I stumble across Copperhead eggs. I think the two are linked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:20 pm

Yeah, they are not in the hobby either. One popped up a few years ago in Fredericksburg and some breeding was intended but no one ever heard from it again. Guess it failed.
Back to top Go down
rickpowl

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:36 am

Not many people breed Mole Kingsnakes period. They don't seen to be popular. It will take years to establish a good population of amel snakes. Since you only have one amel animal, you have to cross it with a wild type. So if the amel you have now is a male, he may be ready the breed in 2017. Maybe 2016 if you don't cool him and feed him plenty. Most females take about a year longer to reach a reasonable weight (size). The clutch that you get from them will all be het for amel. You then have to raise them to adults, and cross the ones that are the opposite sex as the amel parent back to the parent. This should give you a clutch where half will amel. You can add up the time to see how long it will take to get a real collony of amel animals.

Keep first snake till it is large enough to breed: 3 years.
Produce adults from the F1 generation: 3 years.
Backcross the F1 generation animals with amel parent:
You can now expect a clutch with 50% amel snakes.
Cross the amel snakes to each other and the amel grand parent and you will start getting clutches of 100% amel snakes. If all goes well, it will take you about 10 years, and you still don't know how many people will want one. It is also my understanding that these snakes have small clutches.
I have breed Mole Kingsnakes myself, and the clutch was only 5 eggs. One was a dud. Can you see what you are up against?
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:26 pm

That's a fancy King Cobra. Rookies.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:28 pm

Thanks, but other than reporting an interesting Virginia specimen, I have no interest in the snake. To my knowledge, the snake was transported to a wildlife education group and will be use for public education.
Back to top Go down
rickpowl

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:51 am

Well at least it will have a chance at living a long life there. In the wild, it didn't stand a chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia   

Back to top Go down

Albino Mole Kingsnake found in Virginia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Herpetological Society News and Events :: Field Herping-
Jump to: