VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Blood Pythons

Go down 
AuthorMessage
jareddtampa
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Blood Pythons   Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Does anybody here deal with bloods much? I am debating on getting one and wanted some input on what you all think of them as well as what kind of setup is best/how they do in a rack system?
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:50 am

Blood pythons in my personal opinion should not be in the pet trade near as much as they are, they're great snakes but the up keep/requirements is a bit more than a Ball Python or Boa yet they're sold in pet stores. Basically you can't flucuate with they're temps and humidity.

A lot of blood pythons are also imported still, they stress out with conditions that aren't close to perfect and they can pack a lot of attitude of course if everythings good you get a Captive Bred Animal (well started), and work with them (provided all husbandry is taken care of and they have a settle in period) you can end up with a great snake.

They're also not really active snakes. If you're seriously looking for one I'd suggest having a proper set up first along with being really familiar with their requirements. And then looking for a Captive Bred animal (if you need help finding a good Blood Python breeder let me know I can assist you)

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-caresheets/blood-python.html

http://vpi.com/publications/blood_pythons_information_and_care
Back to top Go down
jareddtampa
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:38 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I am in no position right now to get one, but want to be sure I have everything ready to go when I get one. I have researched them a little bit and have always loved them, but have not really known anyone who's kept them. When the time comes I would definitely appreciate help in finding a solid breeder.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Years ago I bred Borneo Short-tailed Pythons (back in those days they were still called "blood pythons"). The biggest problem I had was keeping the humidity high enough during the cooler months. They also only poop several times a year and when they go, it is a massive amount.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:21 am

Bloods (and or borneo short tailed pythons) are both great to work with. But not the hardiest of animals. I know as JW mentioned I would have humidity issues personally during the colder months when the heat is sucking out humidity from the room.

I'd love to get a nice pair of black bloods personally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blood Pythons   

Back to top Go down

Blood Pythons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: