VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Best bedding/substrate for Uromastyx?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Best bedding/substrate for Uromastyx?   Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:15 am

I got a Saharan Uromastyx at the Rt. 10 show, I have wanted one forever and this one just happened to be Orange and Black which are my favorite colors (and yes Halloween is the best holiday ever Smile ). In all the research I have done on them substrate seems controversial as with every reptile. I don't really like the whole newspaper/fake grass carpeting/type thing, I like to give my animals an environment similar to their own and some people said use play sand and vermiculite. They are a desert animal, but they also like to burrow. Has anyone used Excavator clay? I know a few people on here have them, so what have you found successful?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Best bedding/substrate for Uromastyx?   Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:07 am

I've always been told millet seed was the best.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Best bedding/substrate for Uromastyx?   Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:56 pm

I'll look into it...thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
ajb28221
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Best bedding/substrate for Uromastyx?   Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Excavator clay is sweet, if you mix it correctly they should be able to burrow like in their natural habitat, if you mix it a little bit off it will be rock hard, good for making caves and stuff. Get some balloons and blow them up and cover it with the clay and once dry pop and boom! you gotta cave/tunnel
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Best bedding/substrate for Uromastyx?   Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks! I will try the balloon trick, Draco loves his rock caves!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best bedding/substrate for Uromastyx?   

Back to top Go down

Best bedding/substrate for Uromastyx?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1