VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:24 am

Hi,
I'm looking for either free tanks people are looking to give away because they're simply taking up space, or I'm looking to buy tanks/enclosures someone might no longer have a need for. If you have any tanks, racks, or any other equipment at all, message me please as I might be interested. Preferably, I'd like a couple of 20 gallon long tanks with latchable/lockable lids and an efficient way of providing the occupants (ball pythons) with adequate heat. Honestly, anything extra that you're not currently using, I could probably use and would be willing to buy from you, so please feel free to contact me if you have something you think I might be interested in.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:02 am

I'd suggest skipping the tanks in general if you're going to be looking for expansion and a growing collection. If you're looking to do it efficiently an adult rack 41 qt (when you have adults), and a 16/32 qt combo rack works really well. If you're going to invest heavy in animals from the start get a rack of each imo.

I have a 41 qt - 4 tier rack for sale, made out of PVC, with recessed heat tape. $200 All you need is a thermostat and its good to go.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:22 am

Deedle wrote:
I have a 41 qt  - 4 tier rack for sale, made out of PVC, with recessed heat tape.  $200 All you need is a thermostat and its good to go.
You'd be a fool not to grab that. The only reason I'm not is I have three racks that are empty, but I have plans for.

I do have a tank or two you can have cheap, they're useful for quarantining new arrivals.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:57 am

My only issue with a rack is I'm not sure I'd be expanding my collection anytime in the near future. It does seem much more cost effective than having to buy a tank once a year, not to mention that tanks typically cost more electricity wise since glass dissipates heat rather than insulating.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:01 am

Deedle wrote:
I'd suggest skipping the tanks in general if you're going to be looking for expansion and a growing collection.  If you're looking to do it efficiently an adult rack 41 qt (when you have adults), and a 16/32 qt combo rack works really well.  If you're going to invest heavy in animals from the start get a rack of each imo.

I have a 41 qt  - 4 tier rack for sale, made out of PVC, with recessed heat tape.  $200 All you need is a thermostat and its good to go.
That's definitely a reasonable price considering most PVC racks I've seen are over 300...do you know how tall it is by chance? An estimate works too
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:04 am

bcr229 wrote:

I do have a tank or two you can have cheap, they're useful for quarantining new arrivals.
Quarantine tanks definitely sounds like a great idea, how much would you be asking and what size tanks?
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:34 am

PythonMan89 wrote:
My only issue with a rack is I'm not sure I'd be expanding my collection anytime in the near future.
 cryingwithlaughter 

BP's are like pringles, you will not stop at one.  Heck two years ago there were no snakes in my house, now there are almost 70 (but over 30 of those were born here this year).

I have at least two tanks that I wouldn't miss, the small one would work for a baby and the other a juvenile or small male. The small tank also has a UTH attached, you'd need a thermostat for it.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:35 pm

PythonMan89 wrote:
Deedle wrote:
I'd suggest skipping the tanks in general if you're going to be looking for expansion and a growing collection.  If you're looking to do it efficiently an adult rack 41 qt (when you have adults), and a 16/32 qt combo rack works really well.  If you're going to invest heavy in animals from the start get a rack of each imo.

That's definitely a reasonable price considering most PVC racks I've seen are over 300...do you know how tall it is by chance? An estimate works too

The dimensions are, and its actually cb70 tubs they're a little nicer than sterlites
24" H x 19" W x 34" D

My other 41qt rack is 3 tier, new it was $280 shipped, no tubs
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Petco is also having their $1/Gallon sale on 10,20,40, 55 gallon tanks.

I still not a fan of tanks. Use them only if I have to
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:34 pm

I'm not a huge fan of then either but they're a temporary solution until I get a rack. I'll definitely let you know in the next week or so about the rack you've got available.
Back to top Go down
Gamble372
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Im with deedle on this, completely skip the tanks, they take up way too much space and are a pain to get rid of, been there done that and learned the hard way. Do some searching for racks there are some good priced ones out there and ive seen a few used ones lately on classified pages on facebook

Last edited by Gamble372 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:33 pm

I might keep a couple tanks purely for quarantine. I'll definitely be investing in a rack though within a few weeks of the move.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 pm

Course, then you get the whole girlfriend issue of "they look so much happier in a tank instead of tucked away in what looks like something you could buy at Walmart for 15 bucks. Honestly, for me, it's about whatever is keeping the animal comfortable, allows it to properly digest its meals once or twice a week, and leaves room for expansion. Much as I'd love to someday own a facility of over 1200 ball pythons or something insane, I doubt that will ever happen lol. But it's nice to have room for another two or three animals just in case all the same. By the way, how much more electrically conservative is a rack/thermostat compared to a tank/thermostat setup? Just curious
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Tanks don't insulate well so they don't hold heat worth a damn. A rack that's enclosed on 3 sides does a nice job keeping temps.
Back to top Go down
Gamble372
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:00 pm

Yeah just remember heat rises and will escape a tank
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:13 pm

Just saying I have a rack (3 tier) with dual 4" THG Heat Tape, It can reach perfect ambient temps, and a hot spot in a 70* room. It does this with ease, I might of went over kill with dual layer 4"

The 4 tier rack has 2" Flexwatt Dual Layered works and holds heat just fine.

Not to mention humidity.

Tanks can work, but they have to be customize to work right and then typically they just look like ****. I'd honestly set up a couple Tubs for quarantine, they work and function much better overall.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:33 pm

So essentially I'd be good with tanks for say a 14-day period to quarantine before introducing them to a tank setup, then, and then put them in the rack after quarantine. Is the rack you mentioned you have for sale the other day still available Deedle?
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:49 pm

It is still available. I have trade offers on it but looking for $.

I Quarantine for 60 days on pythons. And then even after that time is up I still don't incorperate them together for an extended period of time afterwords.

I would just have spare tubs/equipment for spare tubs (thermostat/heat tape) and when you get a new addition do it that way then put them in a rack.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:56 pm

Sounds good. Any recommendations on cleaning materials/disinfectant?
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:05 am

I use F10sc for Disinfectant, and Chlorhexadine for cleaning.

I get both from Reptilebasics, a little actually goes a long way.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:08 am

Awesome, so the 100 mL bottles of each should do fine then.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:19 am

I typically buy the 16oz Chlorhexadine and the 100 ml of f10sc.

I got through a gallon of Chlorhexadine in about 3 months or so (1oz chlorhexadine to 1 gallon of water = 1 gallon of cleaner)

Last edited by Deedle on Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:27 am

Ah okay, sounds good.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:10 am

Happy 4th of July by the way, everyone! Or a belated one, at least.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:11 pm

Deedle wrote:
I Quarantine for 60 days on pythons.  And then even after that time is up I still don't incorperate them together for an extended period of time afterwords.
This. I had two from the same source pop up sick on day 45. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Boas get a 90-180 day QT.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:18 pm

So 60 days in the tank, 90 or so separated from one another for further prevention. Would having them screened by a vet be a recommended precautionary measure as well, or would that be a bit overboard?
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:27 pm

Honestly I typically stay away from vets if I can.

Dr. Stahl in Fairfax is the best from what I hear in the state.
http://www.seavs.com/

However if you get Boas you might want to have a test done and sent off to check for IBD. bcr can probably tell you more about this that I can.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:32 pm

Okay, sounds good...is IBD spreading to pythons at all, or more an issue in boas?
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:43 pm

IBD will kill a python fairly fast and symptoms should show within a 60 day period if they have it. As with Boas they can carry it for quite sometime without it affecting them.

IBD isn't actually that common in general, but it's a major threat to all boids it's a keepers worst nightmare rightfully so.

Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Guessing the best bet is to keep them separated, and their cages properly and regularly cleaned and disinfected then.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:16 pm

I typically disinfect when I switch them to new containers/cages.

I spot clean always and clean/scrub weekly (my tubs). My bigger cages all have Cypress and I'm rotating about 20% of it out per week and then all of it at every 4 weeks. I really need to get a shop vac for this wll make this much easier.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:27 pm

How much cypress do you typically fill the tub with? I know in the tank I used for my last ball, I filled it about an inch to two inches and then sprayed it down to keep it fairly damp and keep the humidity up.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:41 pm

Again I don't use tanks humidity isn't an issue.

The Visions cages I cover up 1/2 the venting with foil tape, I use about an inch of Cypress and don't have to spray it down.

If I use it with a Tank I would cover about 80% of the screen top to reach proper humidity.

With the racks honestly I use Paper Towels, no humidity issues as the racks closed off on 3 sides it holds humidty very well.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Do you have to drill holes in the sides, or are the tubs fine the way they are usually?
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:40 pm

We use a soldering iron to burn holes in them. Protip: do it outside. It stinks.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:09 pm

Do you put holes in the sides of the tubs usually?
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Yes the sides, if you put them in the tops then you will have more heat/humidity escape through the top.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:32 pm

Makes sense. Roughly how many holes do you usually find to be "necessary"?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:08 am

Start with less holes, make more later. Nothing sucks more than overventilating a new tub  Facepalm 
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:12 am

So basically start with a few, set up the tub the way you would with the snake in it, and then use the thermostat to get a reading, and keep making holes until humidity/temp are exactly where you want it?
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:39 am

Focal wrote:
Start with less holes, make more later.  Nothing sucks more than overventilating a new tub  Facepalm 
This, though we find ourselves covering up the holes on the outside with a strip of tape in the wintertime because our house gets very dry.

Here's our rack/tub setup:
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:43 am

So, with the cb70 or Sterilite tubs, do you even really need the tops in those rack setups? It seems like to me the next shelf would act as the lid does, but I may be wrong so figured I would ask.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:07 pm

PythonMan89 wrote:
So, with the cb70 or Sterilite tubs, do you even really need the tops in those rack setups? It seems like to me the next shelf would act as the lid does, but I may be wrong so figured I would ask.
That's exactly how they work, unless you're like my husband and leave too much of a gap between the top of the tub and the bottom of the next level...  Facepalm 

We keep a few lids on hand, they're useful for securing the snakes for transport, if they need a bath (two are renowned "painters", you figure it out), etc.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:23 pm

bcr229 wrote:

We keep a few lids on hand, they're useful for securing the snakes for transport, if they need a bath (two are renowned "painters", you figure it out), etc.

Ah okay. I know some people had complaints about racks like boamaster's having to use the lids and then it being a really tight fit, and made a hassle of pulling the tub out every time just to open the lid, etc. Someone mentioned a quick fix of just stowing the bin on top of its own lid and that fixing the problem since whatever lids/tubs they bought had indentations on the lids themselves that fit the tubs perfectly.
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:48 am

Update: I now have a 4 tub rack, thermostat and several hides, bowls, thermometers and a hygrometer for each tub I'm planning on using.
The only thing I really need (want) at this point is substrate. I'm planning on using paper towels for the time being, as kind of a quarantine set up in each tub. Not that I don't trust the people I'm buying from, it's more of a CYA thing for me, and I'd prefer knowing for a fact that there isn't anything wrong, or the potential issue of mites to deal with beforehand. I'm eventually going to switch them over to cypress mulch, or maybe sphagnum moss. I'm leaning ore towards the mulch honestly.
Also, does anyone know of any rat breeders within say a 20 mile radius of Dumfries? Or breed their own and have excess? If so I may be interested in entering a buying agreement.
Thanks again!
Rob
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:58 am

Contact Hampton Feeders

https://www.facebook.com/hamptonfeedersinc

They deliver all over the state I believe
Back to top Go down
PythonMan89
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:14 pm

Awesome, appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!   

Back to top Go down

Looking for tanks, enclosures, racks and other equipment!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1