VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Hope to meet some of you there!
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:43 am

Best of luck! Let us know what you find.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:51 pm

Very neat, please post pics!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:38 pm

No  Canebrakes found by anyone today but my group did come across 2 black bears and I found my first ever red bellied snake when I got distracted by some AC - couldn't help myself.  Unfortunately it disappeared down a crayfish hole before I could grab it so no pic.  What in the world do those Broadhead skinks eat down there?  The males looked like small monitors!!  One went running thru the shin-knee high grass in the access road and all you could see was a wave of grass being pressed down only to see the biggest Broadhead I've ever seen jump on the trunk of a tree. He let me get a few bad cell phone pics before climbing higher. We did find some slimy salamanders, a painted turtle, cricket frog,  4 black racers, ring neck snake and a worm snake.  I checked every large tree I could find with squirrel activity but no canebrakes at the base waiting for them.  I may take another trip there on the next overcast day that I am off. I want to find a canebrake!!
It was a great time spent with great people!!  Looking forward to more surveys!!

Last edited by RalphMills on Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Sorry you guys didn't find any rattlesnakes. However, it sounds as if you had a good time.
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:14 pm

It was a good time! JD said they will attempt another in the Fall and that this time they will work on shuttling us down the access roads (was almost exactly 60 min walk one way). That will give us about an extra 2 hrs to look for Canebrakes and mean less time having to pick ticks!! Looking forward to it again.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:32 pm

JD is a good man!

I soak my herping clothes in a diluted solution of permethrin. I buy permethrin 10% solution and dilute to 0.1% (1.2 oz per gallon of water). After soaking hang the clothes outside and let them air dry. Don't treat your underwear. I believe that the military also treats their jungle clothing with permethrin. This method keeps the ticks off me.

Are you going to the Belmead survey? - http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/2014-events/herpblitz/herpblitz.htm
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:24 pm

I like that and will use it. Thanks!! I did preregister for Belmead but haven't heard anything yet. Most likely will bring my camper to Bear Creek and have fun all weekend!
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:31 am

Those are my plans too. The HerpBlitz typically isn't as structured as other surveys. The important thing is to get to Belmead on-time Saturday morning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?   

Back to top Go down

Who is attending the Canebrake survey tomorrow?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Herpetological Society News and Events :: Field Herping-
Jump to: