VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Rat snake with broken ribs.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Rat snake with broken ribs.   Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:26 pm

I live in a very urban area, yet apparently there are rat snakes around. My room mate was home alone and the neighbor kids found a baby black rat snake. My room mate took it and has interest in keeping it.

Anyways, I was looking at him, and noticed he has what appears to be broken ribs. It looks similar to a baby garter I had from Belle Isle as a kid, who was stepped on by a jogger who didn't see him. He had a similar but worse injury, but with a pretty obvious kink in his back. He did eventually die, even after eating and moving around somewhat normally.

Luckily this rat's injury looks less severe than the less fortunate garter, but nonetheless similar. His sides loose some shape from the side for about a centimeter of his body length, on both sides, and his back has kind of a lump or minor kink. That centimeter area is stiff and doesn't move properly if you really pay attention, but he gets around normally enough. It looks like maybe he was stepped on. I can snap a picture later.

Has anyone had this experience? My room mate is getting attached to him, and I really don't want him to die. Sad
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Rat snake with broken ribs.   Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:24 pm

I would suggest releasing the snake back into the wild.
As far as I know, there is no treatment for broken ribs in snakes. The ribs typically heal on their own or depending on the extent.

Best of Luck!
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Rat snake with broken ribs.   Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:03 am

If you can ignore the name-calling and personal attacks sometimes found in nasty Fauna BOI threads, this is one where a buyer received a snake whose ribs were broken during shipping b/c the seller had failed to pack it properly. There is some advice on how to treat such an injury starting around pg 4.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360527
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Rat snake with broken ribs.   Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:48 am

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Rat snake with broken ribs.   Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:20 am

jw wrote:
I would suggest releasing the snake back into the wild.
As far as I know, there is no treatment for broken ribs in snakes. The ribs typically heal on their own or depending on the extent.

Best of Luck!

I read there was no real treatment either. However, is there something I can do to aid him? Feeding him smaller meals or something? Something I can do to aid in his healing?

My room mate really wants to keep him, it's his call since he found him -- he does have snake experience and supplies, as do I and my boyfriend who I live with, so at least the little dude is in better hands then that of a novice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rat snake with broken ribs.   

Back to top Go down

Rat snake with broken ribs.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1