VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Anyone ever own an iguana?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:27 pm

I've been throwing the idea around after visiting a fellow herpers house out. He wasn't caged and had free roam of the room. He had a place to perch under a light and soak in the heat. He would just hang out and watch us.

Do these guys really act his chill or is this a hard trick to teach? Can they be house broken?
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:57 pm

Miles used to have an iguana... I heard it was pretty chill...
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:15 pm

I guess it depends on how it's raised A family member used to have one their a little high maintance but yea there really cool and can be a little agressive at times . Tail whips hurt like **** though so im not so sure I'd let em roam free all of the time. When I move and have my own place I'm more than likely going to get one....
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:17 pm

Yea we will have one when we have more room... saw blue ones and albino ones in Myrtle Beach
Back to top Go down
jamesearl

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 pm

i had one chase me around a friends back yard one time.....i'll stick to snakes...
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:01 pm

Ive had them some were nice and most were mean as heck. Ive never had one that was potty trained. seen one that was. I had a out side cage for them when it was warm out but it seems to me that the real sun light made them meaner.
Back to top Go down
reaperreptiles

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

I think it depends on alot of things. I have had mean ones, sweet ones and so on. If you get one as a baby be prepared for years of hard work taming it, if you manage to get an adult who is already pretty tame its alot easier but you miss out on that bonding factor. The problem with iguanas is that they are one of the most difficult animals to take care of because of the bad information out there that most people are fed about them. They require a high humidy and high heat, they need to have a mist system on them but most people keep them in dog cages or aquariums and are unable to give them the levels they need. A large wooden cage is ideal with a once or twice a day mist system and a very large water bowl to achieve the right levels. Most pet iguanas i have seen have very dry skin and it looks more like leather while it should be more like a soft satin. plus with feeding, you have to offer them fresh fruits and veggies daily, so you have to chop up and 'serve' your iguana unlike most other reptiles that eat every few days or so. its tricky with them, especially for the poor individuals who buy a baby from a petstore after being told it would only get a couple feet long. If you want an iguana i would check out the local shelters, sometimes they have decent sized pretty tame ones, without having to deal with a freaked out baby who most likely just arrvied WC from florida or mexico. but those are just my thoughts, if you can accomplish taming one and giving it it's daily needs then they can be awesome pets...but if you want something with size I would take a tegu over an iguana anyday Wink

oh, yeah. they can be house broken, depending on the individual animal but it can be pretty tricky. Older iggys are definantly more chill than babies, unless you have a male in breeding season. another reason Im not crazy about iguanas, males get super super aggressive during the breeding season (and if you have a free roaming male) be prepared to find huge stringy nasty seminal plugs all over the place. :silent:
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:49 pm

I've been seeing ALOT of Red Iguana's around pretty sweet looking and the color on some really blows my mind Really thinking hard about getting one...
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Yea. Miles wants to own one too... I think we need to find a bigger house and soon... it's going to start get overwhelming lol.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:06 pm

i had two and they were freaking awesome. they shared my room with me and never stayed in a cage. i had them since they were little and raised them. having said that, a friend had one that used to chase people around the house and put a pretty good gash in his mothers leg. it all depends on the lizard and how u raise them, thats my opinion. but all in all i think they are really cool.
Back to top Go down
ScalesTailsandClaws

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 pm

I have two baby iggies: A green and a red. They are hardly larger than hatchlings at the moment, and are currently in a 55 gallon breeder, which should last them another month or two. At the moment, they are mean little s***'s but that is because they are babies. They are so cute, and I cannot wait to have them tame enough to take to events. You will need a MASSIVE cage for an adult iguana (I will need an even larger one for my two iggies.) By massive, I am saying that my cage plans are 7 feet tall, 8 feet wide, and 6 feet deep, with a MistKing brand automatic mister, and a pond liner for a water dish. Imagine the costs when it comes to heating that monster cage. This all needs to be considered before buying the lizard. You have to work with them daily to tame them down, or you will end up with a notsolittle demon. If you are up for it, by all means, get an iguana, but be prepared for work!

--
Scales Tails and Claws

Back to top Go down
http://www.scalestailsandclaws.com
Tertius

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:35 pm

I've never owned an iguana, but I have looked at getting one in the past (this was before I thought about how big 6 feet is). I don't know how accurate this website is, but I found it very interesting. http://www.greenigsociety.org/ Once again, I don't know how accurate this is.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:13 pm

I had a green iguana named Norbert. He was great when he was little, but once he hit puberty all hell broke loose! I couldn't wear certain colors around him, he ran at me, hissed, whipped, everything. It was horrible. Unfortunately for him he got out of his room and into the room with the cats and that was the end of Norbert, I was quite sad even if he was a buttmunch. I keep saying I would never get another one, but the blues are very intriguing!!
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:27 pm

That's a sad ending. I do really like the blues too! I don't know why but I'm also fascinated with the rhino ones.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
BennettsCreekReptiles

PostSubject: Iguanas   Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:04 pm

I own two rescue Iggys. Most of the time they are chilled and I take them to educational and rescue events. I have not had many issues of aggression but as with any creature, sometimes they become restless after a period of being motionless upon our request. Iggys can make awesome pets however the rescues have many that have been given up for one reason or another. With that being said, please consider contacting a local reptile rescue before purchasing one from a pet store.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 pm

I love the blues, their gorgeous. The rhinos do look very cool, I can't get over their nose, they're so... dinosaurish!
Back to top Go down
Mike.OutbackReptiles
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:20 pm

Adult iguanas can be very territorial, even if you raise them from babies. I've seen "tame" iguanas but I've also seen little velociraptor iguanas.

Males are the ones that tend to be most aggressive about their personal space, especially during breeding season. Somebody once told me her male iguana got very weird around her when her "time" came, although I don't know if this is common or an isolated case.

I'd highly recommend a large custom cage over a room... otherwise it can be very difficult to get the cleaning/feeding/etc done when there's an angry male 6ft Iguana trying not to let you into his room! At least with a cage you have a little bit of control over the animal.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/the.surreal.deal
AllReptileGal

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:57 am

I have a 4 foot male green iguana and he is an *** most times but we are workin on trust
Back to top Go down
MADKATTER
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:47 am

I have never owned one personally but I hear they are delicious!
Back to top Go down
attack_donut
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:52 pm

I had one that was potty trained, in one take, and roamed the house freely, dog tame and followed me around as one. Loved taking car rides sitting on my head. Full grown rescue adult.

I also understand that was a rare event, to have one so tame.
Back to top Go down
http://plaguedbethyangel.blogspot.com
AllReptileGal

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Really rare to have a rescue adult that tame completely!!! Mine big guy Maverick is an adult rescue and he is quote aggressive towards a lot of people
Back to top Go down
attack_donut
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:15 pm

It possibly made a difference that he was near death, and I nursed him back to health. But having only ever had 1 Iggy, I have no idea.
Back to top Go down
http://plaguedbethyangel.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever own an iguana?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever own an iguana?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1