VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Shed Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
noviceherper

PostSubject: Shed Question   Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 am

My young BP is in shed. I was wondering if he should shed in one piece like most snake sheds I've found. It seems that he is shedding in several pieces. I placed some moist paper towels in his hide assuming that the humidity level may be a little low. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ezekiel21
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Shed Question   Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:46 am

yeah, he should shed in one piece if the humidity is good. i recommend a shed box or mist his tub. i have a reptile room so i keep a humidifier on in there. plus i use cypress mulch for the substrate, which is really good at holding moisture without molding so i give it a good spray every now and then. i hope this helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Shed Question   Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 am

When we switched to the aspen chips the humidity in our tubs got poor. Since switching back our humidity is back to being perfect. The few snakes that were in shed when we used the chips werent shedding in one piece... I found that if we soaked them in a warm water it helped the loose shed... I also found if I got my hands wet with the warm water and ran my hands over the snake, I could rub some of the shed off and it would come off easily in my hands. We almost "mist" our snakes with a bottle of water when they start to shed. Some like it and some don't but it works well. We have also taken a pretty decent size rock and placed it in the tub with the snake and they like to rub against it too. Good luck and hopefully you can get the humidity to the right settings.

Pet Paradise also has some kind of mossy stuff they use for their bedding and it holds humidity really well. If you ask if you can "sample" a small amount before purchasing it, they usually will give u small bag of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shed Question   

Back to top Go down

Shed Question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1