VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Toads.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Toads.   Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:28 am

I know I posted about toads last year too.

I love them so much. I don't see many where I live so I have to look for them.

Does anyone know when toads come out of hibernation? I know Americans come out before Fowler's do. Has anyone seen any yet this year? Is it still too cold?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Toads.   Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:22 pm

American Toads have all but finished breeding. They were out in force last weekend.
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Toads.   Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:01 pm

...I'm hearing them out at night now...saw a few signs of them around in the street. None just cruising around here just yet-but I would think pretty soon they'll be everywhere here again. the 5 lined skinks have been all over the side of the house since it's warmed up too.

...no signs of snakes around just yet though.
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Toads.   Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:47 pm

I haven't seen one. I think the nights I went herping were too cold.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Toads.   Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:03 pm

In Virginia, American Toads typically breed in March and into April depending on the temperatures. Fowler's toads usually breed later in the season during a longer window, March to July. Southern Toads have an large breeding window, March through October.

Not sure how to post a FaceBook video, but this was taken last weekend about 161km (100 miles) north of Richmond. - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152159340039888&set=vb.53153159887&type=2&theater

The VHS is already receiving snake photos (ID requests) from this year. Mostly northern brown snakes. Several garter snakes, ribbon snakes, northern watersnakes, a few cottonmouths, a few eastern ratsnakes, a couple black racers and one juvenile eastern hog-nosed snake.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toads.   

Back to top Go down

Toads.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1