VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Help?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:58 am

I have a rack that won't respond to my thermostat. Can someone help me fix it? I will pay if it requires labor.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:53 am

What do you mean the rack won't respond to the thermostat?

What kind of heat are you running on the rack, and what type of thermostat?
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:42 am

I use a Johnson Controls Thermostat A-419 with two prongs. What I mean by not responding is....well let me give some background.

I have two units. One is in use and responds to both prongs. I run the heat at 95 this time of year, which heats the hot side to about 90-92, and the cool part is maybe 82-84. The other unit doesn't respond to either prong and heats to its very capability with no control. When I bought the rack (used of course) one of the tubs it originally came with had a melted hole in it that had been taped up, which is obviously indicative of out of control heating. I bought the rack for $50, so I knew it was a crap-shoot. The structure is also fairly sound, so having a friend put new heat tape in is probably cheaper than buying another, and I still think it was a good deal, especially with the larger unit working. When I bought it I tested both units BEFORE placing an animal inside, and found that this one malfunctioned. However, recently a snake was pretty abruptly given to me, and though I can accommodate her temporarily I really want my second unit to work -- I also want more morphs.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:31 am

Sounds like the Johnson Controls may be bad or have a bad probe. Since you have two probes, you might want to replace the bad probe to see if that fixes it. If not, then you may need to get a new thermostat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:59 am

IIRC Johnsons are known for failing wide-open when they do fail. I would replace both thermostats with a brand that shuts off on failure instead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:29 pm

hey what kind of morphs ya after?
Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:52 pm

That's the thing, both prongs work with one unit and neither with the other.

Morphs I want include:

Coral Glow
Killer Bee
Medium White Pied (very specific)
Mystic Potion
Champagne (which I might be getting in the next couple days)
Super Cinny
Any cool paradox.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:33 pm

So the heat tape has been replaced or not?

Back to top Go down
Running_Elk
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:41 pm

It has not been replaced. Yet. I'm having a friend do it -- I don't feel safe working with heat tape.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Help?   Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:34 pm

Start from the heat tape then.  THG heat tape is awesome if you know exactly how much you need you can order it from reptile basics prewired.

THG is much better heat tape than flexwatt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help?   

Back to top Go down

Help?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: Enclosures, Racks, and other Herp Equipment-
Jump to: