VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Research on venomous snake conservation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Research on venomous snake conservation   Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:07 pm

To start with, I'm a highschooler in Commonwealth Governor's School. In this program, we have projects called 'culminating' in which we do a two year long project, in a sense it's an independent study on whatever you choose. Of course, this was is my big opportunity to finally do a project on snakes...So I am very excited about it! We have to create a research question that we will answer with our research by the end of the year. (Next year we come out with a product from our project.) My research question is:
How is the conservation of venomous snakes currently addressed in the United States due to their benefit to humans, and in what additional ways could they be protected?
For the past couple of months I have been collecting research throughout the internet about snake venom, control on ticks, current conservation, ect. Valuable research on venomous snakes isn't too easy to come by. So, I thought, who better to ask than fellow snake lovers and experts themselves? If anyone has found good links to benefits these snakes provide, conservation statues, laws, ect, I would LOVE some feedback. I'll take any feedback and suggestions you have, I love to read any articles on snakes in general.
Thank you so much!
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Research on venomous snake conservation   Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Since SFD affects rattlesnakes this may be useful:
http://www.vaherps.com/t5249-snake-fungal-disease
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Research on venomous snake conservation   Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Virginia Laws relating to the possession of venomous snake can be found here: http://www.virginiaherpetologicalsociety.com/herplaw/index.htm

This section of code protects (mostly in theory) native wildlife, including venomous snakes:

4VAC15-30-10. Possession, importation, sale, etc., of wild animals.
Under the authority of §§ 29.1-103 and 29.1-521 of the Code of Virginia it shall be unlawful to take, possess, import, cause to be imported, export, cause to be exported, buy, sell, offer for sale, or liberate within the Commonwealth any wild animal unless otherwise specifically permitted by law or regulation. Unless otherwise stated, for the purposes of identifying species regulated by the board, when both the scientific and common names are listed, the scientific reference to genus and species will take precedence over common names.
Statutory Authority
§§ 29.1-501 and 29.1-502 of the Code of Virginia.
Historical Notes
Derived from VR325-01-2 § 1, eff. July 15, 1992; amended, Virginia Register Volume 11, Issue 5, eff. January 1, 1995; Volume 11, Issue 9, eff. February 22, 1995.

The term "take" used above means "kill".

In my opinion education is the key. I still meet people today that think the only good snake is a dead snake or that the main life purpose of a venomous snake is to hunt down and envenomate humans. I live in a diverse area and the old wives tales that come from other cultures for the most part add additional negative connotations to the mix.

Back to top Go down
jwmeeker

PostSubject: Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation   Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:02 pm

I haven't spent a lot of time on this website looking for venomous conservation, but there are some great articles and links to diverse conservation and state websites.

http://www.parcplace.org/

Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Research on venomous snake conservation   Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Along those same lines this is the branch of PARC that covers VA: http://www.northeastparc.org

This spring the Virginia Herpetological Society will once again work with the DGIF and DOD implanting transmitters into "Canebrake" rattlesnakes.
Back to top Go down
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Research on venomous snake conservation   Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Thank you SO much for the information so far everyone! I've really been reading into them and will definitely be using them for my research.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Research on venomous snake conservation   

Back to top Go down

Research on venomous snake conservation
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1