VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JJ Reptile

PostSubject: caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????   Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:48 am

Was wondering how difficult is caring for a crested gecko. Would greatly appreciate input or info from anyone that has cared for or is a experienced crested gecko owner/breeder!

I have a 12×12×24 exo Terra terrarium would that be big enough for a pair of cresteds ?

Wat is the most popular or widely used substrate?

If you mist them how often? Would it b better to get a mister setup?

During mating season, how many clutches do they lay? (Best guess)
Where should I look in the cage? When is their mating season??

Not looking for TRADE secrets, just general info.

Thank you

JJ Reptile

Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????   Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:20 am

I would say a 12x12x24 would be good to house one crested personally, I've housed a two juveniles together in one for a short while, but currently I have two of these terrariums with one male each(and even that feels small to me). Its generally not recommended to house them together at all, although females can sometimes get along if they've got enough space, but you've got to keep a close eye on them and make sure they don't start fighting. My 2 girls have been together for around a year in a 18x18x24 and spend most of their time together but I still check them daily to make sure they're both eating and haven't been nipping at one another, the minute they show any indication of not getting along I'll be buying a second tank and separating them that day.

I mist mine once a day, sometimes twice depending on how dry the room is so the tank doesn't get too dry and absolutely soak their substrate to keep the humidity up (you just have to make sure it doesn't mold). A mister setup would probably be good for them, again its something you'll want to monitor to make sure you don't under or over mist them though.

I use Zoo Med's Eco-Earth in all of my soil substrate terrariums because it's shredded coco fiber and doesn't mold easily so I can soak it and not worry about the mold so much. If you use the bricks you need to make sure you dry it out sufficiently before using it in the tank because I've heard that can mold easily if you don't, but I usually just use the loose bags of it.

I don't breed my cresteds but my girls will lay eggs from time to time and usually I find them either in the substrate hidden under their water bowl (it's a dog bowl with 2 large holes in the sides so they lay them under there) or in their humid hide (a tupperware container with soaked moss and a hole in the top), so they seem to like hiding them for sure.

I might be wrong on this (and if I am someone please correct me), but I'm pretty sure I've read that you don't want to house a male and female crested together full time because the males are pretty violent when mating and it would stress the female out too much to have him around all the time. I do know that when it comes to breeding you've got to make sure they're the right age and breeding weight before even thinking about it though, so housing them separately would make sure they aren't breeding before its healthy for them to do so.
Back to top Go down
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????   Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:38 am

I Think crested care is one of the easiest out there. For caging I use Sterilite tubs, 51qts for adults 15 qts for babies. I use paper towels or news paper, the tubs hold humidity longer. I use 6qt tubs (witch fit in the bottom of the 51qts perfect) for lay boxes. this also limits where you have to look for eggs. Digging threw a ton of substrate could become a pain. I mist them every night, I put big enough holes in the tubs so the tip of the spray bottle fits in there and pull the trigger a few times and it's over. simple fast

As for Breeding this is my first season, I already have eggs incubating.....But I feel that someone that breeds on a reg bases and breeds more often would be best suited for this info..... I'm sure Both will see this tomorrow and leave a comment but.... Dagan Legg.....Sarah Bouldin.... Both these ladies I know have produced Babies. Also Chris (Californiadreamin) and also Eyelash Exotics i think is the other ladies user name....

Tomorrow I'll Post up how I set my tubs up....It's different but i think it saves a ton of room.
Back to top Go down
Axolotl Girl
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????   Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:26 am

Agreed, tubs are great for housing cresteds, especially if you're specifically interested in breeding or have a large amount of them. Personally I choose to house mine in naturalistic looking, display tanks, but they are more work and I just have the 4 cresteds. Both ways are fine for keeping them, it just depends on what makes more sense for you.
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????   Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:26 pm

Above info pretty much covers it.  There are several care sheets to be found on the web regarding cresteds, and most of them have very similar & detailed information.

As for housing, I switched from an exo terra to a plastic tub that I modified.  It currently houses two females that are both less than a year old.  I did a write-up with pics about two months ago on here about modifying the tub, which I followed instructions I found online.

To answer the first question about difficulty:  very easy!

EDIT: here's the link to my write-up, and there are a few more in the Enclosures section:

http://www.vaherps.com/t4144-update-rubbermaid-crested-enclosure-construction
Back to top Go down
stormymay888

PostSubject: Re: caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????   Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:46 pm

This is my first year breeding, I've found the Pangea forum be a very useful source of information regarding crested and other geckos: http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/forum.php

Best of Luck!

Back to top Go down
http://stormymayartsandexotics.weebly.com
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????   Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 am

I also use tubs. This info above is totally on point though. Tubs are easier, but by all means, glass terrariums are obviosly more attractive. I don't personally think a 12x12x24 is a good perminant size for two adult crested geckos.

I wpuld start pairing in februray or march when it warms up a little naturally. They usually two eggs a month, around the same time every month. Literally lol. I have some that are clockwork the same exact day every month.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????   

Back to top Go down

caring for crested geckos!! difficulty level?????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: