VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Will my boa still grow?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ginvbch
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:14 am

Hey everyone, so I picked up a red tail boa from someone a week ago and he told me that she was maybe 2 or 2 1/2 years old and she was only fed mice to keep her small.  She's really tiny, only about maybe 2 1/2 feet long.  I've read that they grow the biggest if fed right the first couple years.  

Do you think she's still grow to be bigger when I start feeding her rats?  Or...maybe she's the type of red tail that stays small?  IDK Sad 

Last edited by Ginvbch on Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:30 am

I can't quite tell but she looks like a standard BCI to me, She looks thin and like she is having a rough shed. Maintenance feeding animals to keep them small is not right.

I'd offer her a rat the size of and adult mouse (probably a rat pup) and slowly start to put weight on her and bump her size prey up. Hopefully she takes a rat right away.
Back to top Go down
Ginvbch
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:43 am

Yeah she is having a rough shed. I sprayed her with shed-ease yesterday and today and also gave her a little bath. The humidity in the cage is at 65ish and I've been misting the cage every morning since she started to shed about 4 days ago.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:47 am

Ginvbch wrote:
Yeah she is having a rough shed.  I sprayed her with shed-ease yesterday and today and also gave her a little bath.  The humidity in the cage is at 65ish and I've been misting the cage every morning since she started to shed about 4 days ago.  
I'm guessing she wasn't properly kept before. How is she when handling does she have a lot of strength for her size or does she move around sluggish ?
Back to top Go down
Ginvbch
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:51 am

Yeah I can tell she wasn't cared for that well. She was really cold when I picked her up straight from the guy's cage. She's not sluggish at all. She's really sweet and active and I can feel her power when she's wrapped around my hands.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:41 am

She should grow just fine. I've heard over feeding at a young age can shorten their life span, so let's hope for a long healthy life from this one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:16 am

Now that the picture is bigger she doesn't look to thin. She could definitely use some weight put on her but slowly and surely definitely don't power feed to get her up to weight.

And Nick, I've heard the same thing especially in people power feeding burms/retics to put size on them, along with people trying to keep their snakes small and feeding them a lot less.

Good thing is this Boa is in good hands now with someone that cares.
Back to top Go down
Gamble372
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:53 am

I picked up a boa muself that wasnt treated well, you can see her spin which isnt good and those wrinkles arent good...put her on a weekly feeding and she should get much better like my guy did, hes got decent size to him now..had to start him close to weans and now hes on med/large rats every week
Back to top Go down
Ginvbch
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Awesome, thanks for the info guys!
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Ugh, poor thing. I have a male the same age that is probably twice her size. He puts away a large f/t rat every 10 days. My female is about six months older and she eats a retired female breeder rat twice a month, and would put away more if I let her, the little pig...

Yours doesn't look like one of the dwarf BCI species, so I doubt she'll stay small once you start feeding her properly. IIRC power feeding them young makes them grow faster and can you see adult females of 10' or more, but yours will probably hit 8-9' with her history.

Unlike ball pythons you don't want to see a huge lump after they eat - keep the prey size as big around as she is. For her that looks like either rat pups or weanlings.

I would change substrate from aspen to cypress as it holds humidity better. If your tank has a screen top you can put a damp washrag on top of it, and cover the top with Glad Press N Seal with a corner turned up for ventilation. If you're using a lamp for heat I would swap it for a UTH w/ thermostat instead, lamps will dry that air out and this time of year maintaining humidity is difficult enough as it is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Ginvbch
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:53 pm

Yeah I keep a damp towel on top to keep the humidity in. I'm also using an infrared basking light and also a UTH. I really hope you're right and she isn't a dwarf lol. I want her to get big.
Back to top Go down
Ginvbch
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:55 pm

Oh and I also have a little water dish under the lamp to help with humidity. Hum stays right at 65.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:07 pm

Ginvbch wrote:
I really hope you're right and she isn't a dwarf lol. I want her to get big.
Dang, where were you hiding when we were given two normal female BCI's "because they're getting too big"... and they're not even 5 feet yet...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Ginvbch
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:29 pm

What?! Dang I missed out! lol
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:36 pm

She will still grow. I had a female that I got as a baby in 2008. At 3 years old , she only weighed 1900g (this was as of October of 2011, so she was probably close to 3 and 1/2) which is a little over 4lbs. That was incredibly small for a boa her age. She began to eat more aggressively (she was a picky eater when she was younger) and started packing on the size. This last spring, she was well over 7lbs and eating large rats.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
Ginvbch
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:22 pm

Good to know thanks! I'm glad yours is getting bigger.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:49 pm

bcr229 wrote:

Unlike ball pythons you don't want to see a huge lump after they eat - keep the prey size as big around as she is.   For her that looks like either rat pups or weanlings.

Very good point, from my experience Boas do not digest near as well as pythons do. I've had a boas regurgitate from to big of a meal it took me a while to figure this out when I first came into the hobby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will my boa still grow?   

Back to top Go down

Will my boa still grow?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1