VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions

Go down 
AuthorMessage
thecomebackkid

PostSubject: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions   Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:43 pm

Hello everyone! I'm a first-time snake owner so I apologize for all the questions.

I'm looking to move my ball python out of his glass aquarium but I'm a little unsure as to what to go with, so I was hoping you all could help! I was looking at the Animal Plastics t8 or just a normal 41q tub. What are your experiences with both? which do you like better? Obviously setting up a tub would be cheaper and it'd be great to save some money, but if a t8 holds heat and humidity better, then obviously I'd go for that.

Also, I have some questions about the t8:

The AP website sells flexwatt tape as an accessory for $35, but I've seen 11" flexwatt go for $3-7 a foot, so whats the difference?

Also, if I were to buy the divider and house my ball in one half of the tank, would it be enough space for him to live comfortably into adulthood, or should I just give him the whole tank?

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions   Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:59 pm

I would go with the T8 if you plan on only keeping one Ball Python.  A 41qt will require a rack or some secure top.  The plastic lid that comes with the Sterlite is not secure.

The heat tape is piece of mind that it was assembled by a professional that does it every day.  The clamps can be a pain if you don't have the special tool.  The clamps, covers and cord can run up to $10, the installation and assembly $10, and 2' of heat tape for $15.  I can see it being around $35.  I'm not sure if they recess the heat tape slot for every T8, but this may also be in the $35 amount.  I would call to clarify if this slot comes standard.  You can assemble it at home if you have access to tools and you are handy for about half but you would still have to pay an extra $5-10 for shipping.

I would buy the divider regardless if he grows out of it or not.  It will help with the resale value if you ever change setups or decide he has plenty of room.  It can also be used as a step up if he is still smaller.  All my adults are in a 41qt rack or divided 48" x 30" x 15" enclosures.  I can see two average sized adult males living in that divided T8 setup.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions   Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:57 pm

Don't forget you have many options. I would find a few different caging options and call for "Lead Times' sometimes Animal Plastics can get very backed up (okay not sometimes they've always taking quite a while for an order) Boamaster doesn't make to shabby of stuff and they're in VA.

If you plan to expand and add more to your collection you may consider, and starting with the single level with castors.

http://www.arscaging.com/ars7010.html

Personally if you're looking for the best caging you can get in my personal opinion Neodeshas, and Visions are top of the line. You can often find Visions and once in a while Neodeshas online (craigslist), or post a wanted add here maybe someone will give one up.

Reptile shows are also a very good source to come across caging and racks (reptile show end of the month in Richmond)
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions   Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 pm

We do have a cage builder here as a member. They look like good solid racks and they are local.

http://www.vaherps.com/t4310-snake-racks-new-updated-pics-and-prices
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Our latest racks..    Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:11 am

Max made these...  They have to look like furniture if they are going to be inside...  Wink   Stained and Sealed, I think these are a win..  designed for belly heat..  Of course these are made to our specs and can be modified to fit yours..

Cindy

Back to top Go down
thecomebackkid

PostSubject: Re: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions   Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:18 am

Deedle wrote:
Don't forget you have many options.  I would find a few different caging options and call for "Lead Times' sometimes Animal Plastics can get very backed up (okay not sometimes they've always taking quite a while for an order) Boamaster doesn't make to shabby of stuff and they're in VA.

If you plan to expand and add more to your collection you may consider, and starting with the single level with castors.  

http://www.arscaging.com/ars7010.html

Personally if you're looking for the best caging you can get in my personal opinion Neodeshas, and Visions are top of the line.  You can often find Visions and once in a while Neodeshas online (craigslist), or post a wanted add here maybe someone will give one up.  

Reptile shows are also a very good source to come across caging and racks (reptile show end of the month in Richmond)
Wow, thanks for pointing out the Boamaster, free shipping on the economy cage is a great deal! I was planning on attending the Richmond expo in a couple of weeks, so I guess I'll check that out before making a decision
Back to top Go down
maxhorsley
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions   Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:35 pm

...Starting with a basic XPVC plastic rack isn't a bad idea either, i do have an XPVC supplier available/many of the more experienced breeders I know swear by plastics(which is as easy to work with as wood)-just a little more costly for the materials.
Back to top Go down
bcr229
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions   Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Just bite the bullet and get a rack/tub setup. It makes keeping them happy and healthy easy, plus ball pythons are like Pringles, you won't stop at just one... or two...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions   

Back to top Go down

Looking to get my Ball out of his glass aquarium, I need opinions
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: Enclosures, Racks, and other Herp Equipment-
Jump to: