VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Kingsnake vs milksnake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Kingsnake vs milksnake   Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:39 pm

What are the differences in the two that would designate one as a kingsnake and the other as a milksnake? Are milksnakes really kingsnakes but just with a different common name based on tradition?  Mole Kings, to me, seem to look more like and behave more similar to Eastern Milks than say Eastern Kings. I know that lots of times it has more to do with genotypes than phenotypes but I have always been curious.

In Maryland, at least according to their website, it is believed that in certain locales that eastern milks integrade with scarlet kings to produce the "Coastal Plains Milk".  I known that JW explained to me that in VA the "coastal plains look" is just an atypical variant of the eastern milk which makes sense to me seeing as how according to the distribution list the only scarlet kings documented in VA are far to west of where hobbyists believe the "coastal plains milks" can be found.

Has anyone ever come across the "tri colored" look variant in VA. I've seen pics of Maryland animals that where considered integades and not scarlets.
Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
RalphMills
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Kingsnake vs milksnake   Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:10 pm

The reason I ask about pics of the tri colored look is because I have a distict memory as a preteen and a few years later as a young teen of two seperate occurances in Hanover County.  The first was while my father and I where fishing from the bank of Kings Pond which is located just west of Ashland.  I was making my way thru some brush along the shore line when i saw a snake close to my feet partially hidden by leaf litter.  I vividly remember seeing the black, red, and yellow bands.  I pointed it out to my father who siad "Whoa" and made me back away from it because we didn't know any better at the time and he was thinking coral snake (obviously I know now that they are not present in VA).  The second occurance was a couple of years later when a friend and I where walking across Blunts Bridge which crosses the South Anna River and I saw another tri colored snake swimming from the bank to a pile of logs and brush that floods had pushed against the bridge columns.  Maybe I remember it wrong due to an over active boys imagination but I can still see the red, black, and yellow bands in my minds eye on both occurences.
Back to top Go down

Kingsnake vs milksnake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1