VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:37 am

Ok, here’s my write-up of how I transformed my Rubbermaid All-Access tote to my crested geckos’ new condo.  I should say that I mostly followed the directions of a write-up I found on Pangeareptile.com, which I found extremely useful.  Hopefully this turns out well and the pics work out.  Let’s get started!

SUPPLIES:
medium-sized all-access tote (front door access)
fiberglass screen mesh (the kind for screen doors)
hot glue gun + sticks
scissors
X-acto knife
pocket knife
Dremel
Patience!

I used the X-acto knife to score the sides of the tote to designate the side panels to cut out.  Then I used the pocket knife to try and further the scoring.  I’m a bit impatient, though, so I thought I could “punch out” the scored panels – didn’t work out that way as one of the sides broke off more than it should have and the corners splintered into the tote a bit.  Oops.

So I kept scoring and used the knife as a saw once I broke through.  However, that proved to be too time-consuming for me once I finished the first panel.  For the second panel, I used the X-acto to score out the panel, then used the Dremel to cut it out.  I sanded out the edges of both cuts on the tote using the Dremel.  Came out pretty smooth, no burrs or jags.

After using the Dremel thorough washing was needed to get all the dust off, so off to the bathtub.  I rinsed it out and let it dry over night.

I used the cut out sections to measure out the needed amount of screen for the sides of the tote.  As suggested I cut out pieces of the screen bigger than the holes so I could trim them down to size later.

Using the glue gun I attached the screen mesh on the inside of the tote.  Be careful because the glue is hot and can get a bit messy.  Also, make sure that you seal up the mesh well and good all around. I went back and doubled-up on the spots that I thought looked not as secure.

With the mesh securely in place, I trimmed off the excess with the X-acto knife.

Here’s the finished product.  Of course it still needs to be furnished, but that’s a relatively simple thing: bendy vine, drift wood/grape wood, some plastic plants.

Last edited by Rhuwme on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scalyfoot
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:26 am

Galen, that is so cool. Will try this for myself this weekend.
Back to top Go down
californiadreamin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:21 am

Looks like my setups. Goodjob!
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:47 am

Thanks guys. I think I may go back and change from thumbnail pics to viewable pics, lol. I'm hoping to get the furnishings this weekend. Going to check the arts & crafts store to see if perhaps they'll have suitable items for less than at the pet store.
Back to top Go down
Gamble372
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 am

Wow thats neat i may just have to try that
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:39 am

Great wrote up. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:16 am

Ok, short of some way to heat it (thinking flex watt in a back corner, but not sure yet) I think the new enclosure is complete!  I've placed both Super Nova and Red Ranger in there and will leave them there overnight.  I think they like it because they were doing a lot of exploring, so I'm going to let the girls try it out.  Without further ado, here's a bunch of pics:

Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:56 am

It turned out great! Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
Deedle
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 am

When I first seen these tubs, I thought instantly those would be awesome converted into reptile enclosures, I kinda wished they made them longer/wider.

Non to less Great Job, Flexwatt should work just fine.

I'd like to see what others come up with these tubs!
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:39 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to see if I can head out to PP this weekend and ask about flexwatt; I don't know where else I'd find it locally.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:20 am

It's not local unless you happen to be down in NC, but because of the location, Reptile Basics ships quick. They sell all sizes, the clips, and I believe even prewired.
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:12 pm

Online only? Crap - I'm an instant-gratification type of guy, so I pretty much never order online, lol. Ok, I'll give them a look-up when I get a chance. Thanks, Nick.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:46 pm

i did not cut out large areas on the sides, i drilled holes in mine, it works well... i also ran led rope lighting through them to brighten them up... im working on adding a few more to the stack to make it complete, when i do ill post pics of them all
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:35 pm

I thought about drilling holes on the sides also. In fact, I may end up doing that if/when I get another tote and more geckos. As it stands now, my tiny apartment has serious space issues, so I think I may need to get rid of the 20g long tank I have, find a space for the exo-terra (it currently sits on my dinner table) and see if leaving the tote out is a good idea aesthetically speaking. Since today is my Friday I'll probably move the geckos into the rubbermaid full-time starting today so I can keep an eye on them for a few days.
Back to top Go down
sic_anger
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:35 pm

See Sean the space issue...... thats why i did mine like i did to make room for my new Beardie (Willow) that i got off Jabberwocky.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:21 pm

I guess I font get the space issue thing, the totes are great for space and whether you drill holes or cut out the sides and screen it, I don't think that changes it...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction   

Back to top Go down

UPDATE: Rubbermaid crested enclosure construction
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Husbandry Discussion Forums :: Enclosures, Racks, and other Herp Equipment-
Jump to: