VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

I hate Craigslist...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Honestly, I am done with Craigslist. I am never trying to rehome any animals on there again. I could say a few choice words about some of the people who reply to my listings.

I have kept crested and gargoyle geckos for close to ten years now. I am friends with some major breeders in the business. I have thoroughly researched their care requirements and strive to provide only the best, most suitable environments for my pets.

My post:
"I have two gargoyle geckos available for rehoming. Gargoyle geckos are rhacodactylus geckos, just like crested geckos. They have nearly identical care and eat Repashy Crested Gecko Diet. They can be fed insects but it is not necessary and they will often refuse to eat them.

The first gecko "Wopsle" is a subadult at 9.4 grams. I suspect he is a male. He is a nice orange blotch morph that fires down white and fires up dark with the orange highlights. I am asking $60.

The second gecko "Marilla" is a female adult at 51.1 grams. She fires down pink and fires up maroon. She has a very sweet temperament and is very handleable. I am asking only $100. (Her value is twice that.) My primary concern is that she goes to a knowledgeable home, so please inquire.

I can provide some food to get you started as well as the website where I order food for all of my geckos. They need at least a 10 gallon tank each with some plants and sticks for climbing. They do not require heat or UV but should be kept at room temperature. 75 is ideal (always keep between 65-85 F).

Thanks! Smile"

The person's reply, publicly of course, rather than through email where it should have been made:

"I myself own a Gargoyle and they DO require heat.
a TANK is NOT good for them, they need plenty ventilation so an open mesh wire type enclosure
not only do they need things to just climb, but they need to be twisty, and curvy for the geckos.
they don't require UVB, but it is good for them
and the best thing(s) to feed them are crickets, meal worms, baby mango food, and a powdered food that you can mix with the mango that's for fruit eating lizards which they have at pet and aquatic ware house in Lynchburg, VA on Wards RD. "

My reply to that, which is a little heated admittedly, because I am quite incensed that someone is combating my post with INCORRECT information about gargoyle care:

"Gargoyle geckos require high humidity. Mesh enclosures are more suited to chameleons. Gargoyles do NOT require heat unless your house is unusually cold. You can do more research on PangeaReptile.com and LunarGecko.com. UVB is unnecessary. Overheating your gargoyles can be a serious problem. Baby food is terrible for them because it contains a lot of sugar. Crested Gecko Diet is specially formulated to contain good nutrients and proteins without the sugar. Please do your research before making incorrect assumptions. I have kept and bred geckos for ten years, and I own several gargoyle geckos."

I am now really irritable, and I sincerely hope that someone on this forum did not make that reply. If they did, I would be glad to help them do further research. Rolling Eyes

P.S. Wow, so I'm in trouble for not describing that geckos need "twisty branches" ??? Since when did the people of Craigslist become the minute details police? My gargoyles do quite well with bamboo poles, which are NOT twisty.
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser.aspx?UserId=5fb7c078-e6af-4
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:34 pm

i have never heard of them needing "twisty branches", either - i guess i've been researching cresteds and gargs in the wrong places!  I'd recommend to just ignore the CL dumbasses
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:39 pm

Don't get me wrong--I'm sure any gecko would love a "twisty branch." Heat is definitely bad for cresteds but could be okay for a garg--in the FORM of a light over the cage, not any substantial heat lamp or heating pad. But baby food is definitely a no-go and can lead to MBD. Mealworms are frowned upon as feeders for these geckos because their exoskeletons can be tough to digest. I just HATE when people correct me and are not correct themselves!
Back to top Go down
Rhuwme
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:53 pm

...and that's why I'll continue to ask you for info on cresteds and gargs (when I get one or two) in the future Smile
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:54 pm

Haha. Well you can do your own research as well. There are varying opinions on some of the care requirements, but it is really not that difficult.
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:05 pm

I ended up simply posting a link to the Pangea Reptiles gargoyle care sheet. They can have fun arguing with THAT.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:13 pm

DaganGecko wrote:

and the best thing(s) to feed them are crickets, meal worms, baby mango food, and a powdered food that you can mix with the mango that's for fruit eating lizards which they have at pet and aquatic ware house in Lynchburg, VA on Wards RD. "

It could be someone doing some advertising. I find it a little odd for a random person to phrase it quite this way.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:29 pm

you should have resorted to name calling...i always find the immature rout to be the best way to go Laughing
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:31 pm

Someone from CL offered me a trade a few weeks ago, and when I did not accept it, they DID resort to name calling. ^^;
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:35 pm

SO YOU WANT TO MAKE THAT TRADE NOW?!?!   Wink
Back to top Go down
DaganGecko
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:50 pm

Only if I can have an extra helping of spam!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I hate Craigslist...   

Back to top Go down

I hate Craigslist...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1