VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

whats wrong with my bp?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: whats wrong with my bp?   Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:32 pm

hi guys im looking for an answer to whats going on with my snakes eyes. he has what looks like wrinkles on them. none of the others do. i was told that it could be dehydration but im prettty sure thats not it because i have monitored when he drinks and he drinks quite often. im runnin out of ideas. its not because he is about to shed because he just did and it is still the same. it does not appear to bother him in anyway, he is still a big baby and loves bein held, never jumpy or has ever tried strikin at me and in fact he likes when i rub under his chin and on top of his head which i thought was unusual but its cool.lol. never had a bp that would let me do that. but im not sure what could be goin on with his eyes. its not like debree or anything from the substrate either. any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:39 pm

It sounds like an eye cap. I think the other person used the wrong verbiage when they said he was dehydrated and it's probably a low humidity problem. What is he/she housed in? A tank with a screen lid?

I would give him a 30-40 minute soak in tepid water. I like to put a rock in with them when they are soaking because they can brush up against it. After the soak, if you have a snake bag, cloth one, or pillow case, I would put him in that and tie it closed and put it in the enclosure for an hour or so. He will also brush up against the cloth and pull it off.

Did this appear after a shed? Retain eye caps are usually noticed after a shed and most lose them during the next shed if the issue causing it is corrected. If not, it can lead to more problems.

I do not recommend this unless you are really desperate, but I once, under the recommendation of a "professional," wrapped scotch tape around my finger so the sticky side was outward, and GENTLY rolled it across the snakes eye. Sometimes they will come off easily. If it doesn't come off easy, don't push it and take him to a vet. I would only do this after the soak.

Pet Care in Va Beach is very cheap for an exam. I took a snake there once, got an exam, meds, and had the snake sexed for $78.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:45 pm

Also, be sure to mist the cage daily and get a humidity gauge (hygrometer) if you don't. They should be at least at 50% in my opinion at all times to prevent illnesses such as eyecaps and respiratory infections.

Moistened sphagnum moss in the hide can help too but must be changed periodically to prevent mold.

If you have a picture of his eye, it may help.
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:47 pm

ok i will give the soak a shot and see what happens. thanks a lot. i will let ya know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:01 pm

definately sounds like eye cap like nick said. since we changed our bedding we have had shed problems and had that same issue last week
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:36 am

What happened.... was it an eye cap??
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:45 pm

pretty sure thats what it is but the bath trick didnt work so now my options is vet or wait for the shed comin up in a few weeks. i just dont know if waitin for the shed will be good for him or not.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Yeah if he has a shed coming I would wait. Keep his humidity up towards 80% with a humid hide. Google "retained eye cap" and gauge how bad yours are. If they are worse than average, I would call a vet Monday morn although they just might tell you to hold it out.
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:00 pm

ok will do. i will keep ya posted
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:42 pm

just bought some repti shedding aid. made by zoo med. for the whole snake including EYE CAPS. so im gonna try this out i think and see if it works. anyone ever use it before?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:12 am

Never used it. Did the soak and sack trick not work? Any progress?
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:30 pm

no the soak and sack did not work. he enjoyed it though lol
Back to top Go down
ax2austin
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:31 pm

he finally went through his shed and the eye caps are gone!
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Zilla Shed Ease usually works for me. When we moved Xavier had a bad time with retained eye caps, so soaking him with water and shed-ease or stress coat (I know it's for fish, but a reptile guy I knew long ago told me it works wonders) always works.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whats wrong with my bp?   

Back to top Go down

whats wrong with my bp?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1