VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Tokay talk!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Tokay talk!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Anyone else keep or breed tokay geckos? I got a trio of CB hatchlings from a couple different people last year and they are doing great together. They are about six inches long now and eating about 10-15 small-medium dubias each, per day! I'm really surprised they aren't a foot long after eating at this rate. I've named them Big Dot, Little Dot Multi-Spot, and Diamond Nose.

The temperaments are getting much better! I rarely try to hold them because I don't think they are there (and may never be), but I have been touching them with the tip of my finger and working up to slow petting. There has been less barking and jumping now that they realize my finger can fit in their mouth if they feel I'm being to forward. I spoke to a member on here a while back that was concerned about keeping them communally. So far so good! Of course separate would be the best choice and I don't want to take away from it, but this is something I wanted to try. They do not seem to care about each others company and will sun bathe and hide together, however, that may change as they age.

From what I understand, males will be aggressive towards each other. I've offered a ton of coverage and have been sexing them on a regular basis to separate them for when that day comes. One developed its preanal pores at a couple months while another is nearing eight months and has not. Here's a link on how to sex them. . This has been an alien experience for me and definitely a challenge because even though one started displaying pores like a female, from what I understand, it can still protrude and be a male. The one that is not displaying any pores is much bigger and showing traits of being a male.

I'm currently using a 24Hx18"x18" Exo Terra with about 36 feet of .75-1.25" thick bamboo, a bunch of artificial foliage, grapevine, various cork bark and hides. I also wrap three of the four sides of the terrarium with brown packaging paper for added security. So far Sani Chips have been a blessing as I am frequently seeing it passed without a problem. I did not introduce them to the Sani Chips until the smallest one was 4.5" long and before that I used paper towels. With the high humidity, I didn't like paper towels because the feces would mold quickly. They are also very clean when it comes to making waste. They try not to crap where they sleep which is usually the back wall during the day. I guess they hold it all day and then at night, come to the front and deposit it in about a 2"x12" section. The Sani Chips pull towards it like kitty litter and spot cleaning with a designated plastic spoon makes it a breeze.

They have all done great on dubia since I got them and they eat a lot. I could not imagine feeding three of these growing monsters if I did not produce my own roaches. Without counting, I'd have to say I have at least 100-125 adult female dubia and they eat about every nymph now with a few being held back for our bearded dragon. I wouldn't doubt if I'll have to increase the female roaches soon since they are not even half the size they can get. I'm thinking of starting a second colony of Madagascar Hissers for when they get bigger. Regulating vitamins has been an issue since I cannot control who gets what in a communal environment but they are getting more comfortable as they age and I will start tong feeding soon. I have noticed that they will eat whatever the roach is crawling on, ie leaves. Thankfully I went back and googled one of the plants I have in the big terrarium (what was my adult tank) and found out it is toxic. There is no doubt that they would have bit some of that off if a roach was crawling on it. Sometimes I think they eat more Sani chips than bugs Smile

Well, let me know if anyone notices anything I'm doing wrong or could do better; or just let me know if you keep them. I'd be glad to talk tokays sometime. Maybe I'm at the point to where I can finally help someone LOL. I will continually post my experiences and lessons-learned here.

Here's a pic I took this morning that made me want to post:
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Tokay talk!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:53 pm

I was at AJ the other night and the girl that works in the reptile area (cant remember her name for the life of me) had brought her tokay in and it was just chilling on her shoulder as she walked around and was completely hand tame, everyone was petting it and he just chilled there on her shoulder and did not care
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Tokay talk!   Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Oh wow, I'll have to go up there and check it out. I've seen a couple videos of free handling but not in person. When they were young, I was always worried about losing one behind the boamasters because they were so quick and didn't get a chance to work with them much when they were young. I'm hoping they just chill out more when they reach full size. It's not something I plan to do much but it's nice to show others these beautiful geckos.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Tokay talk!   Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:05 pm

I caught Big Dot out again. He's probably the bravest of the group.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tokay talk!   

Back to top Go down

Tokay talk!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1