VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Spotted salamanders heat question.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Silvia Hurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Spotted salamanders heat question.   Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:30 am

I have a question about these little guys. For now the temperature is just fine but I worry for the summer because the temps will be high and I'm sure will go over 75°F inside the house, even at its coldest spot + A/C. So I wonder... If I put them outside in a bigger cage with cypress as substrate, at least 15 inches, once they burrow will they be fine? Should I even make a hole in the ground and put the cypress so to be sure they don't cook? I already looked a little bit on the internet but without clear answers. Look for owners opinion.

Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Spotted salamanders heat question.   Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:41 am

Not sure if this helps, but I saw one member online keep her axolotls, who also require low temps, in a glass front, wine chiller fridge. She was able to keep the temps lower with the built in thermostat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Spotted salamanders heat question.   Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:20 am

Spotted salamanders like all mole salamanders stay hidden the vast majority of the time, don't breed in captivity, and are fairly common. My suggestion if they have been in captivity for less than 30 days is to release them at the point of capture.

If you're determined to keep them I don't think normal room temperatures will be an issue. I often find them on the surface under logs when temperatures are in 70's to lower 80's. As a precaution, during the summer months you could place a frozen water bottle in the enclosure.
Back to top Go down
Silvia Hurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Spotted salamanders heat question.   Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:28 pm

Thank you both, this is very helpful! Smile Wouldn't the frozen water bottle might be hurtful if stuck to their sensitive skin though? Should I wrap it with baking paper (or sth else?) to protect them?
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Spotted salamanders heat question.   Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:52 pm

The salamanders should not come in direct contact with frozen water bottle when it first comes out of the freezer. Once condensation starts to form on the bottle the salamanders won't stick (freeze) to it.
Back to top Go down
Silvia Hurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Spotted salamanders heat question.   Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Thank you for the tip, very nice Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spotted salamanders heat question.   

Back to top Go down

Spotted salamanders heat question.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1