VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Anyone use iherps.com?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
will4ya

PostSubject: Anyone use iherps.com?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:42 am

Anyone using Iherp.com? I was thinking of using it, to post pics of all my reptiles, that way i can have people inquire on what i may have available trade/sale and just to share pics of my gargs. If you don't know what i'm talking about just go to www.iherp.com . Sort of like a personalized library of your own reptiles that you share with other members. It's free, and theres more to it then that. Just wondering.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone use iherps.com?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:23 am

I tried, but I hate the interface. It's so clunky so I just keep paper records and call it a day.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Anyone use iherps.com?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 am

iagree I like the idea a lot, but just don't mesh with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Don

PostSubject: Re: Anyone use iherps.com?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:18 am

I've found that all of the computerized programs are too cumbersome to use with a large collection. They may be OK for up to ten snakes, but after that, it takes too much work. I use a combination of methods. Here is a thread I posted on BP.net about how I keep visual records:

Quote :
For feedings, I use blue tacky. I feed on the same day every week. A rat goes into each bin (properly sized - label on the front of the tub tells me what size to put into each tub). As I get to the last tub, it has been long enough to circle back to the first tub (after I've cleaned up my feeder bin). Each tub is checked and if the snake has not eaten the rodent, I pull the rodent and place a blue tacky dot above the tub. The uneaten rats go back into their bins. At anytime, I can look at my racks and tell you which snake has not eaten and how many weeks it has been since it ate by the number of blue dots.

I tried using paper records, but for me it is harder to know what is going on. I keep my records on the metal bars above the tubs (ARS Racks). With just a glance, I can tell you which snakes have shed and when they shed (by a label), which ones are eating or not (based on the blue dots), which males are paired with which females (males name is on a magnet that is placed over the female's tub when paired), which females have locked and when (by looking at the white board where it is tracked), which females are proven breeders, when and how many eggs they laid and the age of the animal. Everything is on the racks in front of me. Not knocking the paper or computer records, it just doesn't work for me. The breeding records are on paper as a back up, but I hardly ever refer to them.

Baby racks are handled differently, because they may be moved around as they sell. I use index cards to track feedings and transfer that data to an Excel spreadsheet. I monitor live versus f/t feedings. On the index card, I put the morph, sex, hatch date, first shed and weight at first shed. Then track feeding dates and food item eaten. Even my incubator has a white board on the door, so I can record data that I can see quickly while in my ball room.

My point is to find what works for you and go with it. With my method, I feel all of my 100+ snakes are well taken care of. With just a glance around the room, I can see if anyone or anything needs any special attention and it takes me very little time to do.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
will4ya

PostSubject: Re: Anyone use iherps.com?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

hey don, i can certainly see why you do it that way. i on the othr hand have only about 15 reptiles.
Back to top Go down
Jaded_Heart
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Anyone use iherps.com?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm

I use it for my small collection and find it very helpful for keeping track of feedings and sheds. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.iherp.com/PrymalReptile
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Anyone use iherps.com?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 pm

I started too..but yeah I agree it's a bit cumbersome and the interface is not the greatest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Anyone use iherps.com?   Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 pm

I did post some pics on there and got some cool remarks. Smile But that's about as far as that went.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
will4ya

PostSubject: Re: Anyone use iherps.com?   Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:20 am

I was excited about it at first and i wasn't sure how popular it was. It's been a few days since i last stumbled on to iherps and i've already lost the motivation to try it. From reading everyones comments on here i'm glad i didn't waiste my time with it. I appreciate the insight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone use iherps.com?   

Back to top Go down

Anyone use iherps.com?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1