VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Help with mites!! :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Help with mites!! :(   Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:14 am

So, while taking one of the cresties out for a handling tonight I noticed mites on his poop. Immediately I was thinking " oh no they're inside him!" However, upon further looking under a loupe they just appeared to be eating it. I googled it and all I could find was that they were probably either wood mites or mold mites?? I read that technically in small numbers they are not harmfull to the reptile, just GROSS. (The enclosure bedding is a rainforest substrate with small pieces of wood) After reading that I feel better, but what does everyone else think??

He is healthy, none on him, and they are in no other gecko's tank that I could see. I can't take a picture of them because they are TINY. White yellowish color and most definitely shaped like mites.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Help with mites!! :(   Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:27 pm

They sound like springtails. Natural micro fauna that clean the substrate of feces and mold.

They are fine if they are springtails Smile. You're lucky, I had to pay to add springtails to my enclosure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Help with mites!! :(   Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:21 pm

Springtails are black though arent they? These are little white round bugs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with mites!! :(   

Back to top Go down

Help with mites!! :(
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1