VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
David_Means
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew


Posts : 156

PostSubject: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:33 pm

HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013. The time to get involved is now.
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
avatar

Posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Yes, apparently HSUS is reneging on it's promise to follow the Dangerous Animal Initiative and has been actively lobbying to BAN most things. Time is now to get involved.

(D) delegate Lucas in portsmouth. And delegate (R) Peace in Richmond. Bills 1242 and 477

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?131+sum+HB1242
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:53 pm

How disappointing, I thought this was behind us. Keep us informed on the best avenues to oppose this!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
Silvia Hurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:34 am

David_Means wrote:
HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013. The time to get involved is now.

Angry

+1
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
avatar

Posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:18 pm

Stay tuned, hiwever I would start writing the senstor and delegate and the respective committee members in staunch opposition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
avatar

Posts : 4872

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:23 pm

Does anyone know if this list is still active? I imagine so.

http://www.vaherps.com/t1065-lobbying-hb1242-sb477
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
avatar

Posts : 888

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Guys, this is a good time to remember that there is no compromising and The Dangerous Animals Initiative was a BIG DEFEAT for us. It doesn't matter if zero herps were banned.... we have to STICK TOGETHER with other exotics owners.

The goal of our opposition is the complete ban of all animal ownership, including leopard geckos and ball pythons. We may look at banning of tigers and lynx as a compromise (wrong of us) but the opposition looks at it as just one step further towards a complete animal ban.

No more compromising, no more concessions, no more appeasement. Angry

Call up your congressman and senators and tell them that you are sick of it and no more.

I suggest we put together a phone list again (like last year) but this time we need to be organized. There's 726 members on this site plus other organizations both animal organizations and libertarian groups that are sick of nanny government regardless of if they keep animals or not. Every day, a different state rep gets phone calls from every person that can and is willing to call, telling them politely to NOT VOTE for this and requesting a response. We need to bombard these guys with phone calls, from hundreds of people each day.

It's hard for many people to get to the capital for hearings but everyone can take 5 minutes to make a phone call each day. Hundreds of phone calls every day will stop this in its tracks or at least give us a lot more support in conjunction with other methods (going to the capital, letters, etc.)
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:19 pm

iagree
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
Silvia Hurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:23 pm

Jabberwocky Dragons wrote:
Guys, this is a good time to remember that there is no compromising and The Dangerous Animals Initiative was a BIG DEFEAT for us. It doesn't matter if zero herps were banned.... we have to STICK TOGETHER with other exotics owners.

The goal of our opposition is the complete ban of all animal ownership, including leopard geckos and ball pythons. We may look at banning of tigers and lynx as a compromise (wrong of us) but the opposition looks at it as just one step further towards a complete animal ban.

No more compromising, no more concessions, no more appeasement. Angry

Call up your congressman and senators and tell them that you are sick of it and no more.

I suggest we put together a phone list again (like last year) but this time we need to be organized. There's 726 members on this site plus other organizations both animal organizations and libertarian groups that are sick of nanny government regardless of if they keep animals or not. Every day, a different state rep gets phone calls from every person that can and is willing to call, telling them politely to NOT VOTE for this and requesting a response. We need to bombard these guys with phone calls, from hundreds of people each day.

It's hard for many people to get to the capital for hearings but everyone can take 5 minutes to make a phone call each day. Hundreds of phone calls every day will stop this in its tracks or at least give us a lot more support in conjunction with other methods (going to the capital, letters, etc.)

iagree

Completely with you.

Add my name on the list Wink Phone calls from me they will be bombarded. I will be like a dog with its bone. PHONE CALLS ARE GOOD.

Please allow me to forward your message to the most people. It couldn't express better my feelings on this subject.
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 pm

if there is anyone that has access to a copier at work or something, if we can get some mass produced fliers with the reps names, numbers, and a short message about what to say...we could pass them out at the bristol repticon next weekend...
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
avatar

Posts : 888

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:36 pm

Guys, we should start a phone list that can be distributed online and in person at stores and shows that contain a list of all the phone numbers that should be called. Each phone number will be dated so everyone calls the same number on the same day. If this done correctly, then hundreds of phone calls should flood a delegate at once.

The idea is that it can be hard for people to make it to the capitol and others want to help but see a list of names and numbers and become overwhelmed. We should make it easy. Take 5 minutes, call this number on this day and leave this message.

I need help with this though. I don't know which delegates are the important ones to call this year. Can someone either list them here, or take these talking points and create a whole list with dates. Then this handout can be distributed.

These are some talking points for the handout. Does anyone know the numbers for deaths caused by dogs and horses versus exotics? I remember seeing this recently but can't find it.



Talking Points

Caller: “Hello, I am calling about ________ (HB1242 or SB477). I want to express my concern over this bill and tell Senator/Representative ________ not to support it. This is not an issue that needs regulation and we are sick of government interfering in the lives of private citizens.”


Possible Delegate Response: What if one of these animals gets out and hurts someone?
Reply: There are already laws on the book to hold people responsible for their actions. These need to be enforced. Dogs and horses kill ____ people each year while exotics are responsible for only _____ deaths. Cats kill a median of 2.4 billion birds and 12.3 billion mammals each year in the US. There doesn’t appear to be any legitimate need for exotic animal regulations and these appears to be nothing more then a government power grab. We are watching and we are voting.


Possible Delegate Response: Voting… Where do you live?
Reply: My home address shouldn't matter. I am calling as a private citizen to express my concern over this bill that strips liberties from other private citizens and will destroy business and the resulting tax dollars for the state. Please pass this on to Senator/Representative ________.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:49 pm

I received this email today, is this good news or are they mistaken???


From: DelBMarshall@house.virginia.gov
To: ChuckHurd@ChuckHurd.com
CC: DelDMarshall@house.virginia.gov
Subject: RE: HB 1242
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:18:55 +0000

Dear Mr. Hurd:

Delegate Bob Marshall does not serve on the Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources Committee. Delegate Danny Marshall does serve on this committee and his email is deldmarshall@house.virginia.gov.

However, I wanted to also let you know that HB 1242 is dead because it was not taken up by the committee over the interim.

Sincerely,

Claire C. Gardner
Legislative Aide
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Any updates from today?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:48 pm

I just heard from Jerad Watts that both bills were defeated!!! =)

Has there been any discussion about proposing a bill of our own? Getting some reform on the books, so we do not have to go thru this every year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
avatar

Posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:19 pm

The Bills are dead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
avatar

Posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 pm

the DAI was mostly a success. And will be the basis for any new laws, but I don't think any legislator will be taking up these laws again.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 290

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Excellent news….this is too much anxiety for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
Don
Moderator
Moderator


Posts : 2130

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Wooohoooo!
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+
avatar

Posts : 888

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks for the update guys, great news cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Silvia Hurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:04 pm

leftoflarry wrote:
the DAI was mostly a success. And will be the basis for any new laws, but I don't think any legislator will be taking up these laws again.

smb2585

YAY!!! Was busy cleaning snakes cages when got the news from hubby by text message... I about jumped to pop my head open on the ceiling bounce Razz
Let's celebrate it and be ready, still, for any reversal, this looks too good to be true to me!!
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member
avatar

Posts : 1249

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:20 pm

leftoflarry wrote:
The Bills are dead.

lol!
Nice way to put Larry!!!

Awesome news!
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator
avatar

Posts : 819

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:23 pm

According to Jared Watts and VIIPER (who went to Richmond today) they said that Del. Pierce killed the bills and that no committee picked them up and the Senate bill was also dead. Unfortunately I had work obligations and couldn't go down, but the legislature knows exactly where the VHS stands on this issue. We lobbied hard and having to take time off work to go to the DAI meetings was a big pain in the rear. However, it was all worth it and the HSUS and their allies have failed here in Va. Thanks to those who wrote letters or showed up in person in Richmond. Thanks to everyone for the support. We killed it....the power of lobby is strong and the politicians have listened.
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Silvia Hurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew
avatar

Posts : 124

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:59 am

leftoflarry wrote:
According to Jared Watts and VIIPER (who went to Richmond today) they said that Del. Pierce killed the bills and that no committee picked them up and the Senate bill was also dead. Unfortunately I had work obligations and couldn't go down, but the legislature knows exactly where the VHS stands on this issue. We lobbied hard and having to take time off work to go to the DAI meetings was a big pain in the rear. However, it was all worth it and the HSUS and their allies have failed here in Va. Thanks to those who wrote letters or showed up in person in Richmond. Thanks to everyone for the support. We killed it....the power of lobby is strong and the politicians have listened.

Well said cheers Amen to that.

As I was saying to some other people we are still ready if ever needed again. My husband and I before being on the VaHerp site have been trying to fight this off as much as we could ourselves for over a year. We wrote to the bill sponsors, called, written to committees involved in this, Chuck had even the chance to be talking on the radio last year about this, etc; now we also wanted to go to Richmond to show our teeth but this time couldn't make it... Still did the best we could.... Thanks to everyone to pitch in in any way!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor
avatar

Posts : 4872

PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:46 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!   

Back to top Go down
 
HB1242 and SB477 are back for 2013!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Kansas Hillbilly Backyard Garden 2013
» The Adventure Travel Film Festival, Dorset 16-18 August 2013
» Best mattress for bad back?
» Strawberry plants dying back?
» Farah exchange student 2012-2013

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Virginia Events and News :: Virginia Legislation and Bills-
Jump to: