VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Back Up Heating

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Back Up Heating   Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:39 pm

So we woke up at 3am this morning to a non-working furnance and a 57F house. The coldest day of the year and snow. 57 isn't too bad but it could get much worse.

57F and dropping temps are not good for tropical ball pythons or dubias. Fortunately, we had and immediately set up a back up space heaters and put extra lamps around certain herps. Besides their normal flexwatt, the dubias got a black light heat bulb and 4 shipping heat packs. The dogs got their hoody sweathshirts (the doberman is quite a sight in one).

We just got the furnance fixed and all is fine but I wanted to share this story as a reminder for everyone, especially those with tropical species, to have multiple back up heat sources. Without back up heat, the best I could have hoped for is probably a slew of RI's and a dead dubia colony as well some other sick herps. 3am is a difficult time to try to get extra heating supplies. Although it wasn't needed this time, a generator is must have too in case your power goes... definitely a problem in Central and Western VA with winter ice storms.
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:06 pm

Pics of the dobie in a sweatshirt or it didn't happen lol!

Glad to hear its back up, Brian!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:03 pm

Thank you and Thanks for the extra heat packs too!

Haha, I'll grab some soon and throw em up here.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 pm

That stinks!
Hope that any losses are minimal.
Back to top Go down
zues
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:48 pm

Great post. Something else I have figured out over the years. If you have closed racks like Animla Plastics or any enclosed racks you can drape a blanket over the front opening of the rack. It keeps the warm air surrounding the tubs in the rack and makes your heat tape work a lot less. The blanket still allows plenty or air in for your animals.
Back to top Go down
zoogleflorp

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:56 pm

Dang good advice, and sorry to hear about that scare, glad that it seemed to work out. Right now we really don't have much more than a big stack of hand warmers. Any ideas for if the electricity goes out?
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:25 pm

zoogleflorp wrote:
Any ideas for if the electricity goes out?

I use a generator and CPU battery back-ups. The back-ups are great for the incubators because they give me time to set the generator up.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:12 am

Also, if you have a traditional hot water heater, the water remains warm for a few hours after power loss. Fill 2 liter soda bottles with warm water and placing them in enclosures.

In a *real* pinch, use a propane grill to heat large rocks, wrap them in towels and place them in enclosures. This is extremely dangerous and should only be considered as a last resort.
Back to top Go down
Peri-Itsy
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm

I have 3 large APC ups units and plan to get a propane generator as soon as I can
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:48 pm

jw wrote:
That stinks!
Hope that any losses are minimal.

Thanks. It looks like all the Dubias pulled through, no massive die offs this morning. Everyone else is looking good and healthy.

I also wanted to mention to any considering a generator but hesitant about the cost that Harbor Freight sells a cheap one, about $160, that will at least run all the heat for your herps and incubator. The $1k, 10k watt ones can run your whole house but at least the Harbor Freight ones are easy and affordable to get something quick. Of course, then you can always later get the the 10k one and have the HF as a back up... two is one and one is none.

Back to top Go down
Dementeddogz
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:01 am

I always try to get a backup, just incase. We dont get outages out here often but the last time i did i ran an inverter off the truck for a bit :-p made it a point to grab a new generator after that and have the propane heaters, and such for work. Actually have a few back ups just incase.....I dont know about anyone elses collection but better safe then sorry Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.morphedout.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:55 am

ha...power went out last night around 430 am (still night to me) I thought i was going to have to head to walmart for kerosene heater...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back Up Heating   

Back to top Go down

Back Up Heating
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1