VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Greetings!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PandoraChams

PostSubject: Greetings!   Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:51 pm

I found my way to VAherps and recently joined. My journey started before Christmas when my daughter gave me the go ahead to get my grandchildren a lizard. I thought it would be something interesting for them and easy enough for her.
I did my research and decided that Chameleons were incredibly unique and interesting. I remember passing by a Nosy Be at a pet shop sometime ago and thought at the time how beautiful this creature was...almost an luminescent blue.
I purchased a 6 month old veiled female from a local pet owner and had her for a couple weeks before Christmas, but then decided that she may be too much work for the children and I liked her myself. So I am thinking, this is crazy..what's someone like me doing with a reptile?
I have had some experience with caring for them in my past when I owned a boarding kennel and took in all kinds of exotic pets for boarding. Ask me and I have cared for them..everything from 4 foot lizard to monkeys.
With 30 years of raising and showing Shar-Pei, I have always been good at caring for animals and for the last couple years since I finally got out of the breed for good, I had not had anything but a couple of pesky but extremely adorable toy Chihuahuas..so I was ready for a new adventure, especially in light that I am hoping to retire south where its a perfect environment for my new friends..the Chams.
So in addition to Jessie, my number one, I ordered two more sets from Florida. From two different sellers.
I am especially delighted with my translucent's which are absolutely beautiful. I have two more, tiny babies which I didn't expect to be so young when I got them. They were likely only a month old when I received them. I had to go out and purchase a completely new setup as soon as they arrived because of their different needs than what I expected. So far they are doing ok...but require a lot more care to keep maintained. The male is a turquoise and the female is a high orange..or is suppose to be. I think they will do ok with intensive care, however. All of these I have are all veiled. The oldest, Jessie, has attitude of course, but once I get her out of the cage she does ok. The younger ones are ok with being handled. I take the babies out of a screen cage and put them in a smaller cricket cage set up for the babies to make sure they are eating enough and once I see they have eaten the pin heads I have put in there, return them to the small screen cage again which they seem to like.
I am hoping I can socialize them a little more since I got them younger.
What the future holds, I don't know, but in the meantime, I will hope to share my information and learn from yours. My avatar photo is of Jessie. My profile name comes from the movie Avatar..and the land of Pandora...so incredibly colorful and surreal. I will add more photos soon.
Jenifer
Back to top Go down
Peri-Itsy
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Welcome, beautiful animal you have there. I love chameleons but they are too complex for me to keep. But hey you are never too old to be a reptile owner.
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:48 pm

welcome
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Welcome
Back to top Go down
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:46 pm

welcome to the site Smile
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:57 pm

Welcome~ Glad you made it!
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:40 pm

Glad you came, now I am not the newest anymore. =)
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Smile
Back to top Go down
leftoflarry
VHS Moderator
VHS Moderator

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:58 am

Hey welcomem aboard.... I like how some people give their background on how they got started in the herp hobby. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.vaherpsociety.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings!   

Back to top Go down

Greetings!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: Welcome to VaHerps! :: Welcomes and Introductions-
Jump to: