VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Will the Burmese Pythons eventually make it to VA? I think it’s possible.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Will the Burmese Pythons eventually make it to VA? I think it’s possible.    Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 pm

http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-news/2012/11/28/puerto-rican-crested-anole-can-withstand-miami-winters.aspx

This research confirms what I have always suspected. Reptiles can adapt to colder climates over generations. When I lived in Chattanooga, TN I was within a few minutes of the state of AL. AL has a natural alligator population, however, the natural range is only in the southern parts of the state. I know of at least two separate populations that where living only about 30 miles from the TN state line, well out of the established range.

One population was discovered, at least to the reptile community, by me. Locals in tiny, Collinsville, AL, which is located on the top of Sand Mountain would often speak of seeing alligators, but like most people, I wrote it off as urban legend. I had a friend who worked with horses in the area. One day while on a job, a farmer mentioned the gators. Even gave him a location to see them. He followed up and sure enough, they were there. He called me immediately, and that weekend I confirmed a small population living on top of a Mountain in far north AL. I interviewed everyone that I could find around that location. Neighbors were all aware of them, but no one had any idea how they arrived there. The home closest to the location told me that they had been watching them for at least 10 years. Upon follow up, I found nothing that explained how they survived a north AL mountain top winter. Clearly these few alligators had more cold tolerance than normal. I found no evidence they were a breeding population.

The other population was more well known and had been somewhat studied. They were located in Huntsville, AL. It seems they were imported many years ago by the TVA to control the beaver population in that area. It was assumed they would be released in the spring, kill a lot of beavers till fall, then die in the winter. However, 70 years later, the descendants of those originals still are surviving and breeding in this area. The population is quite limited in numbers, though they have been breeding there since sometime in the 1940’s. The reason for that, is only a few from each litter survive the first winter. Clearly, only those with the increased cold tolerance make it. Those live to breed and create offspring with increased cold tolerance. Via natural selection, this population is thriving and will most likely begin to increase the range over time.

Now, take what we see from this scientific study on the lizards, and what we know about the alligators and apply that to the Burmese Pythons. We are being told this is a south FL problem and for the time being, I agree that it is. But applying what we see here, fast forward 50 years, we see they can now tolerate 2 degrees colder. Now look down the road a few hundred years, could we start to find burms in the VHA field surveys? Given the proper amount of time, I do think it is theoretically possible.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ChuckHurd.com
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will the Burmese Pythons eventually make it to VA? I think it’s possible.    Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 pm

Now, will all that being said, the American Crocodile seemingly is the evidence that the pythons will never advance north. They have been in south FL as far back as we know, and have not ever advanced north of Santa Bell Island. So, perhaps my theory is balderdash. Time will tell!
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Will the Burmese Pythons eventually make it to VA? I think it’s possible.    Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:47 pm

I'm somewhat surprised that a non-native herp hasn't become established on the "warm" side (~3,400 acres) of Lake Anna.

Perhaps something that would prey on these:
Back to top Go down
ChuckHurd
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will the Burmese Pythons eventually make it to VA? I think it’s possible.    Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:24 pm

If i recall correctly, Marge tried to get Homer to prey on one of those, but he refused. =)
Back to top Go down
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Will the Burmese Pythons eventually make it to VA? I think it’s possible.    Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:31 pm

I want one... >.>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will the Burmese Pythons eventually make it to VA? I think it’s possible.    

Back to top Go down

Will the Burmese Pythons eventually make it to VA? I think it’s possible.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1