VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Cooling down Cal Kings before breeding?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Cooling down Cal Kings before breeding?   Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm wondering if Cal Kings have to be cooled down before i can try to put the pair together?
I was just going to give it a try..
Should i or should i not?
Back to top Go down
http://www.hamptonroadscritters.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Cooling down Cal Kings before breeding?   Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:58 pm

Based on my experience with breeding Cal kings they do not require a cooling period. If you prefer to cool the snakes make sure their stomachs and intestinal tracts are empty. Reduce the temperature to 60 F for 12 weeks. Once you bring them out of hibernation give them a week to acclimate, feed them and then place them together under supervision. I typically moved the male into the females enclosure.

It was my experience that the females had fewer issues if they were bred starting at age 3. Many references state that they can be bred after the second year. It was also my experience that if gravid females were given a larger enclosure they were less likely to have egg-laying issues, for example becoming egg bound.

For the most part I followed the instructions given in this small, inexpensive yet very useful book:
http://www.amazon.com/General-Maintenance-Kingsnakes-Herpetocultural-Library/dp/188277020X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357066468&sr=8-1&keywords=the+general+care+and+maintenance+of+the+common+king+snake

Back to top Go down
mamasmarco
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Cooling down Cal Kings before breeding?   Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:39 pm

That's very nice of you..
I just bought me a book though with all kinds of good information in it and this one actually states the same that you said about the empty digestive system. Again, thank you for the offer and have a happy new year!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.hamptonroadscritters.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cooling down Cal Kings before breeding?   

Back to top Go down

Cooling down Cal Kings before breeding?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1