VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

turtle questions...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: turtle questions...   Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:48 pm

OK I have two diamondback terrapins.. my questions are as follows...

Are there any good, SAFE chemicals to use in the tanks water for them? I have read a mix of answers and opinions, but wanted to check here for all your opinions... also if you do use them the ones you use...

And two, what kind of set ups do you all have... as in filter ans pumps... and is anyone getting rid of a decent canister filter for cheap Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:47 am

My turtles are kept outside in a pond. ( all native species ) I use tetra pond chemicals on the pond and have done so for years. I've had no bad results. Just be sure to meet the water parameter that are best for you're type turtle. I do not have a canster filter for sale, but remember this most cans only work 100% in a full tank. Most turtle tanks are half full so the filter do not alwys work.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:26 am

OK... I'll look into the chemicals... like I said I have a couple if diamondbacks that's I originally was gonna sell but the longer I have them the more I like them lol... the only problem I see with them right now is they are messy... I have an in tank filter rated for up to 60 gallons and they are in a 75 about 3/4ths full and its not doing the job... as for the filter you have for sale please pm me what type and what your looking for for it and we can figure it out... I have looked at some set ups with can filters and it seems you can get them to work well with a bit of tweaking but I have never used one so its a new experiment for me...

I will end up going to my local reptile pet store tom and talking with there turtle people and see if I can't figure out a good safe set of chems to also help...

Thank you
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:48 am

TheRealYoda34 wrote:

I will end up going to my local reptile pet store tom and talking with there turtle people and see if I can't figure out a good safe set of chems to also help...

Thank you

Go to Animal Jungle and ask for a guy named Steve. He's a bit a pond/turtle pro Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:03 am

The funny thing is animal jungle is my local let store where k plan on going lol... I actually was going to go in today but the navy does not really have "hours" we work so I got out late and didn't have time... I will def talk with Steve and see what he has to say...

Not giving a review or anything like that, but I do live that place... my girlfriend swears up and down that I go there too much but I don't know... although I have Been there 3 of the last four days lol
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:12 am

I have use 150 or 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks as enclosures. The stock tanks are elevated off the ground by cinder blocks and a thick sheet of plywood. Most canister filters, to function properly need to be positioned below the water line, this is one of the reasons the tanks are elevated. The other reason for elevating the stock tank is that during water changes a garden hose can be used to syphon water from the stock tank to a toilet. Beats the heck out of moving the water by bucket.

I used Fluval 305's for stock tanks and they seemed to work very well.

One can't really reduce the waste a turtle creates, but feeding only bite size food items in appropriate portions will reduce the frequency of water changes. I've had good luck feeding Reptomin sticks as a staple diet with occasional treats.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 am

That's what I feed mine the floating sticks... they love it...

As for elevation, my tank is elevated... it sits about 1.5 feet off the ground so I should be good there... its just about getting a good one for a good price lol... Christmas is eating up my reptile fund...
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:43 am

I've seen used rubbermaid stock tanks on Craig's list. Hard to believe that some people actually use these tanks to water barnyard animals.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:56 am

The problem with one of those is room... I don't currently have room for a big tub... but eventually I do want to get one for them but for now I have to stick with tanks...
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Yup, I agree, Animal Jungle is great and has great staff. At least four of them are on here and help out a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:34 pm

I know of at least Joe... who are the others?
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Me.... Steve
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm

You work there too? Lol well I talked to Steve tonight, he was a ton of help he gave me a decent path to work towards... he was willing to sit and talk to me and give advice where he could. I am very thankful for that.

Smd you mentioned having a canister filter for sale...
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:04 pm

Here are a couple of good links for setting up a tank. I am on this forum all the time.
ATP info

This is the best DIY filter. The OP has had a ton of luck with this and there is a ton of feedback for this filter.

Wendy Filter

What do you want chemicals for? Moderate water changes after the tank is set up is all you really need as long as you have proper filtration.

When you initially set up your tank or do water changes Tetra AquaSafe Plus Water Conditioner is one of the best products to use. Drs. Foster and Smith is the cheapest if you get it on sale. Otherwise Amazon is the cheapest right now.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:35 pm

I'm not looking into a pond yet, but that Wendy filter looks over intriguing... and the only reason I was looking at chems was because I am new at this and trying to find a good way at keeping my tank not a hue of green lol... I did not end up getting chems and won't buy any... thank you all so far this has been tons of help! Any other advice feel free to throw it at me... I'm trying to absorb as much as possible with these guys to give them the best life I can
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:59 pm

If you are using tap water you're going to need a water conditioner. If you don't use one watch your turtles when you change their water. You will see them close their eyes and sometimes even scratch them with their front legs. Straight tap water irritates their eyes because of the stuff "chemicals" the water treatment facility puts in the water.

Since you are talking about a brackish water species it's a good idea to keep them that way. Most people don't and it's completely up to you. IMO, if they live in brackish water you should keep them that way.

The green water never goes away, if you are talking about green algae. No big deal though because algae will help filter the water. If it isn't algae then its dirty water.

My advise. If you are keeping them inside just do a complete water change every week. It's the easiest way to keep them clean and healthy. If they dirty their water do partial changes throughout the week. I have a lot of turtles and that is what I do. I have had filter kill very expensive turtles and I don't take that chance anymore.

The Wendy filter is a good cheap alternative to getting expensive filters. On that forum there are a ton of posts of people making their own variants of her filter. You can also find DIY filter clips on YouTube.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:36 am

No no this is who you talked to tonight. Steve or smd58 as known here. Sorry I don't have a canster for sale. But I will keep a eye out for one.

Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 am

Ooooooooo... gotcha I feel dumb, lol... I read that as "me.... and steve" and then just went back and saw that you actually did say you didn't have one... that's what I get for reading all these posts at work...

Well thank you again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: turtle questions...   

Back to top Go down

turtle questions...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1