VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Bad Day :/

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Bad Day :/   Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:18 am

Our four-year-old Spider male died today. He had been acting a bit "off" the past few days, with slightly more head-wobbling than was normal even for him. He has always had a history of having the really awful spider wobble, so I didn't think it was too odd. He's always been very "spacey" with some quirks that constantly had me panicking. He very frequently laid upside down, star-gazed, and yawned/gaped for no reason. We have taken him to vets before out of fear that his behavior was indicative of health issues many times, but it always turned up that he was just kind of a weirdo.

I checked on everyone and refilled water bowls at noon today, before I left to go to my parents'. When I got home at around 7 pm, he was cold and dead, with rigor already set in. I have no idea what happened. Nothing in the snake rack has changed dramatically in the past few weeks, much less recently. The worst part is that he did die in the rack, so if it was anything long-dormant, who knows what could happen, although no snakes have been added to the main rack in a year, the two snakes I've bought in 2012 and the normal female who we've had health concerns for are in another room in a smaller rack. I have him frozen and I'm calling tomorrow to schedule a necropsy.

He was the second Ball Python we ever got and he was the first morph. Today really isn't going very well. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Bad Day :/   Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:23 pm

First off let me say Sorry for your loss. You will find that most vets would have preferred that you refrigated the animal vise freezing. Freezing causes cell damage, and other problems that my cover the cause of death.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Bad Day :/   Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:39 pm

Sorry to hear Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Bad Day :/   Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:08 pm

I'm sorry for your loss.
To be on the safe side I would clean and decontaminate his enclosure ASAP.
Back to top Go down
Cp3_Pythons
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Bad Day :/   Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:29 pm

Sorry to hear that...
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Bad Day :/   Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Yeah, I pulled his tub, scrubbed the hell out of it and it's currently outside drying. I transferred him from the freezer to the refrigerator for the necropsy, since it's going to be on Wednesday.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions and the condolences. :/ It sucks.
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Bad Day :/   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:33 pm

srry 8(
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Bad Day :/   Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:06 am

So according to the base of the necropsy, he had an enlarged heart. The vet is suspecting that they may have been the problem, but he ran some other tests that won't turn results for a few days. He said that the enlarged heart would cause a reduced life span, but that the snake would otherwise seem pretty healthy.

I'm hoping that that's all it was: a case of crappy genetics. :c
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bad Day :/   

Back to top Go down

Bad Day :/
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
VaHerps.com :: General Discussion Forums :: Snake/Lizard/Gecko Discussion-
Jump to: