VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Reptile Room?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:38 am

So, my husband has decided my cages and tanks are taking over the house and he wants me to make a reptile room. (Hahaha...yay Smile ) I want to be able to eliminate some of the heat sources and make the room temp stay about 80-85 deg. What do you guys do? My ball will stay in the living room, but all of my lizards will be moved into my room, so I don't know if I should go to heat pads or stick with lamps? They all will still need their UV though. I have a large aviary for the monitor,2 showcase cages (need a third if you know where one is) and two aquariums.
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:10 am

A portable heater is what I use teamed up with a humidifier... the combination of the two do great to keep the room in the perfect settings
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Zs.Reptile.House2013
sbouldin
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:11 am

Would a simple heater really acomplish that much heat?? I have leopard geckos .. and if that were the case i could totally re-do my reptile room. I can't stack them on a shelf because there stupid light fixtures are too big. -__- So, if the heater wouldbe warm enough to get rid of that'd be awesome!
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 am

Basically I keep my house around 70 and I got a used heater from goodwill... its pretty tall like 2.5 Feet tall and rotates... but I paid 5 bucks for it and it keeps my tanks at a nice 85... then I add a small basking light for the hot spots they need...
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:05 pm

That's what I want to do, keep the room around 80 or so and then have basking areas. My house stays about 74-75 normally. I just didn't know if that's what other people did in their rooms. I have a really nice portable ceramic heater that maintains the temp in one of our bathrooms at about 80 (my husband likes it warm?), so I would probably use that one. Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
TheRealYoda34
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Anytime... just be careful because my buddy has to cycle his heater because it will gt his room over 100 with the humidity and what not... mine I just run non stop
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Get a Johnson's Control Thermostat for the heater. Internal thermostats in those heaters are cheap and fail. Reptilebasics makes one specifically for room heaters. Here is a link to it:

http://www.reptilebasics.com/johnson-controls-thermostat-pre-wired

In my room, I use an oil filled heater hooked up to a Johnson controls thermostat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
dsteamn
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:09 pm

Ha ha. I love it:

Husband wants to reduce reptile clutter.
Reptile room gets set up.
Animals want to be warm and toasty.
Husband loses his bathroom heater and gets cold when he drops his skivvies.
Back to top Go down
ichopz
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:11 pm

check the classified section.. i think david means is selling a johnson tstat..
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:26 pm

dsteamn wrote:
Ha ha. I love it:

Husband wants to reduce reptile clutter.
Reptile room gets set up.
Animals want to be warm and toasty.
Husband loses his bathroom heater and gets cold when he drops his skivvies.

Exactly! lol!

Thanks, I will look into the tstat Smile
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:28 pm

I keep my house at 75 and with all the heating equipment, the rep room stays at 77 at waist height. The cool side in my encloses are running 80-82 with the hot spot at 88. I wouldn't keep the room over 80 because your cool spots might be higher.

You are definitely going to want a fan, box or ceiling. Definitely a humidifier because it will suck up every bit of humidity. I seal the doors the best I can to keep the heat, humidity and any possible escapees in.

I bought an oscillating heater with a built in digital thermostat. It has a range on its accuracy but its not bad. I don't break that out until feburary when I start warming the room up for "spring."
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Our room is 8x8 and stacked with racks on each wall. It also has a door to the outside attached. We have covered that up and use a space heater in the room with the Johnson Control Thermostat that Don mentioned. we also have fans to circulate the heat and also have a thru the wall vent above the door because the connecting room (our laundry room) has 2 vents that supply ALOT of heat... havent had any problems since we moved and set up the room.
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:29 pm

Thanks! I have an extra fan and heater, and will get the tstat. I need to clean my room out of all the junk to make room for everybody! I almost acquired a veiled chameleon today, he had so much personality and wasn't shying away from anyone....I totally wanted him, but I guess I will wait until I get the room set up before I acquire someone new Wink thanks everybody for the advice, it's exactly what I needed to know Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reptile Room?   

Back to top Go down

Reptile Room?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1