VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Ratsnake Regurgatation?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Ratsnake Regurgatation?   Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:41 pm

My ratsnake girl seemed to of reguratated(or maybe even defecated?) a small mouse today. (I never witnessed the reguratation)
I fed her on Saturday morning, and she's a very picky eater so I was pretty excited with she ate two mouse hoppers. She's a big girl, about four + feet.
There was only that one mouse that was found in her aquarium undigested for the most part, the other seemed to of been digested fine. She is pretty active, and climbs throughout her aquarium quite a bit. The warm end of her cage is about 83 degrees.
anyone have any explanation to her situation? I'll provide more information if needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated Smile Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Ratsnake Regurgatation?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:53 am

Is she WC or CB?
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Ratsnake Regurgatation?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:38 pm

If it is one of our native ratsnakes, at four feet it should be eating adult mice. Usually regurgitation is due to:

1) Temperatures too high or too low
2) Handling the snake after it has eaten
3) A "bad" mouse
4) Sick snake
5) Sometimes it just happens for no apparent reason.

Typically after a regurg I wait 10 days or so before offering the next meal. The first post regurg meal should be a little smaller than the normal prey size offered.
Back to top Go down
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Ratsnake Regurgatation?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:55 pm

Focal- She is captive bred.

jw- Yes, she should, but I didn't have any at the time so I weighed two hoppers that were around the wieght of a regular adult mouse. Is that not good for the snake?
Hmm.. I handle her very short amount of time to put her back in the enclosure(with a snake hook) but any other times she has eaten and I have done that she has been fine. She seems healthy to me, no abnormal behavior.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Ratsnake Regurgatation?   Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:37 pm

I would not be concerned about a single regurg, it just happens sometimes.
It has been my experience that some ratsnakes prefer appropriately sized food over smaller items. I was going to suggest that this may be the reason your snake is a picky eater, but it sounds as if you usually do feed the snake adult mice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ratsnake Regurgatation?   

Back to top Go down

Ratsnake Regurgatation?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1