VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 am

I finally got my rack all finished and have all the snakes moved in to it from tanks, but now they are MEAN. Before they got put in the rack they never struck at me once. Now, every time I open it it's like they're trying to kill me. Ha. Anyone else have this issue?
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
attack_donut
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:07 am

What's the rack built from/with? Could be the chemical offgassing is irritating them
Back to top Go down
http://plaguedbethyangel.blogspot.com
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:19 am

Mine went into tubs/racks as soon as i acquired them but seems to calm down after a while. Could be because they are just in a new place but would be a good idea to find out what racks are made out of. Mayb tubs have more or less ventilation than tanks or the smell of tub? (if you cleaned tubs what did u use) All of that could just be they are in a new place and just need time to get use to it.

Also could be that one does not like you any more and at night it talks bad about you to your other snakes and convinced them to help him/her to try and bite you every chance they get.

better make sure they cant get out
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:38 pm

I would say your best bet is because they are in a new environment....have they ever been in racks before? if not they may feel cramped and threatened possibly? They will get used to it over time. Just let them be and acclimate well.

As far as gasses go, I wouldn't think it would cause them to get angry but rather become very lethargic and possess less of a feeding response or quit feeding completely. That is when I would throw up a red flag and start looking into something serious going on whether it be what you used to make the rack or what you clean/sterilize it with. You should also notice some type of respiratory issues if something like this could possibly be happening.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:26 pm

Or, could they be hungry? When mine get hungry, they will jump out of the tubs at you. This time of year, some of my females require a snake hook to open their tubs!
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Don wrote:
Or, could they be hungry? When mine get hungry, they will jump out of the tubs at you. This time of year, some of my females require a snake hook to open their tubs!

Good thought I didn't think of right off the top of my head!!
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm

I agree with Don and Chris. They are probably adjusting to a new place, combined with potentially just being hungry.

Give them some time to settle down. My guys were a little feisty when I first transferred to racks out of tanks. After a week and a meal, they got better. Like almost everything with herps, it takes time. Smile

Although I do have one BP in particular who is probably the most hateful, evil, wicked creature I have ever seen. He comes out of his hide to watch me O_O I have pictures as proof. I am sure he has my demise planned out in detail.

Hopefully your guys just have a case of the moving munchies c:
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 am

Most seemed to have settled down except my two gravid females. One just nailed me, in fact. First snake bite ever (aside from baby corns)! Wasn't as painful as I thought it would be
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 am

What no picture of a bleeding stump........ Wait till you get one that jack in box on you. (jumps out as you open the box) iam never ready foe it even though I know which ones do it.
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:02 am

i dont know why but the one that shoots out of box about every time for me i put right at face level...
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 am

Mine too, or your leaning in on them.
Back to top Go down
Vergesseneins
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:15 pm

this week end i was leaning in on one and wife was talkin to me so i turned my head but left it by cage...my reflexes did nothing! got lucky it just missed...

ever had them shoot a foot out of tub and just hover there waiting for u to get close?
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Vergesseneins wrote:
this week end i was leaning in on one and wife was talkin to me so i turned my head but left it by cage...my reflexes did nothing! got lucky it just missed...

ever had them shoot a foot out of tub and just hover there waiting for u to get close?

Yup, especially this time of year. I never thought I would, but I now use a hook to open some of the tubs with the females. Some of them get very aggressive this time of year and eat like pigs! My males are typically pretty calm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:11 pm

Vergesseneins wrote:

Oh yes I have. And then never have anything to put them back in except my hand.
Back to top Go down
Tony_G
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:21 am

Hello all
Im new here just looking around thought I might chime in here.

One thing you have to consider is that when they were in tanks they tanks they always had a good idea of what was going on around them. In the racks their fild of view is limited and there more likely relying on their heat sensing capabilities. so when you open the tub or even just walk by you may get a reaction out of them. I have found in my own collection that some snakes cal down a bit after a while, some never do and some may even have their on and off days. The ones that fall into that last one are the worst cuz you never know what our going to get when you open the tub. On top of that I have also noticed 'in my snake room' that hunger can increase these occurrences and MOST certainly on feeding day once the rats are brought in, the majority are on a hair trigger.

All tho this probably does not help you core ct the issue other keep them fat. At least it may give a lil insight as to the 'why'

Thats my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors   

Back to top Go down

COMPLETE 180 in my pythons' behaviors
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1