VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Crested Gecko..?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Crested Gecko..?   Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:07 pm

So.. I'm thinking of potentially getting a Crested Gecko, (Actually I have a very in-depth long term plan to recreate an entire superhero team using only cresty morphs and making tiny costumes for them in an attempt to take over the internet), but as of now, I have no plans of breeding them or really getting into hard-core collecting. I'm currently still in the contemplative/research gathering phase, so I'm looking for opinions. What do your Cresties' enclosures look like? What morphs are your favorite? What are good gecko vendors, for both animals and supplies? Do you use Repashy, or do you use a different diet? How often and how much do you feed?

Not to mention, tell me about your cresties if you like! What do you love about them? What is your least favorite part of keeping cresties?
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko..?   Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:13 pm

I don't know much about them but have always been interested in getting one some day.
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko..?   Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:06 pm

I keep all adults in a minimal 12x12x18 and all adults male or female stay separate all year round except for the week or two I pair them. As hatchlings/juveniles I keep them in small-medium sized Kritter Keepers until they reach ~16g then I will move them to their adult enclosure. Reason being is that if you put a tiny little gecko in a big cage, they will have trouble finding their food and could possibly get quite stressed out. They tend to do better in smaller enclosures even though it may looked cramped. I have noticed this with most all of the other Rhacodactylus geckos. Plenty of hiding spaces helps out a lot with plenty of greenery (they love their plants; fake or real) I would say good gecko vendors are ones whose quality stands out to you and they obviously care about what they do and are not there just to make a quick buck....i.e. underpriced geckos to move out their productions since the market is so over-saturated. A good breeder will go over everything with you including lineage if they have it, show you the parents, and help you with anything else you might want to see or have questions about. As far as supplies go, I have worked with pangea reptile for all of my supplies for the past two years. They have some of the best prices out there and are very friendly. ALWAYS use Repashy CGD!! There is nothing better out there for them and it is proven. Other than feeding them repashy CGD every two-three days, you can offer them roaches or crickets that are dusted with a good Vitamin D3/calcium supplement once a week.

They are great starter geckos and a lot of them can become accustom to being handled a little. Just remember, they are reptiles and not dogs or cats. Handling does and will stress them out like it does to any other reptile. Remember they can and will drop their tail if they get scared or you drop something on them or grab onto it when they are trying to get away. I have only had one drop its tail in the 2+ years I have been keeping them. They do fine without their tails, but they do not grow back and they can get the name "frog-butt"

Another plus to them is that they are fairly low maintenance when you compare them to other lizards etc. But definitely require a little more care than most snakes do.

I have a decent amount of hatchlings available from this year as well as a few juveniles from last year for sale. If you have any other questions, I would love to help you and anyone else who may have any out!!

I hope this helps out a little!!!
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko..?   Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:10 pm

That's a lot of awesome info!! Thank you Smile I know they tolerate handling, so long as it's not excessive.

I'm glad to hear that they do better in small environments, that is going to play a huge role in me potentially getting another wee one. I've heard a LOT about Pangea, so I'm glad to have that reinforced by an experienced keeper. Depending on what my funds are looking at, I may look at getting one at the Richmond show.

I'm looking for something that may "up" my experience/skill level in reptiles as well, and I'm thinking a Cresty might be a good step forward. Smile
Back to top Go down
Docwade87
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko..?   Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:15 pm

take a look at what I have available. I am able to deliver to the richmond show as well. Just not vending there for one reason or another.
Back to top Go down
bluecatfish

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko..?   Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:38 am

Hey I know you. Smile Thanks for leading me here.

I keep my two adult girls in a 18 by 18 by 24 exoterra. My house gets chilly in the winter, so they do have a heat pad on the back wall of the tank should they desire it.

My least favorite part about having them is needing to clean off everything in the tank frequently because they poop everywhere. Cleaning my other tanks is much easier. My favorite part is that they are low maintenance- if I go a couple days without feeding them it's not a big deal. Also I can not handle them for a month and then just pick them up and let them hang out with me and they are cool with that. I don't have to maintain consistent handling in order to keep them tame. I usually handle them more then that, but if life gets busy I don't feel guilty.

I feed Repashy CGD every other day almost exclusively. About twice a month they get some mashed up fresh fruit or bugs as a treat. I weigh them about once a month to make sure they're getting enough.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko..?   Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:05 pm

bluecatfish wrote:
Hey I know you. Smile Thanks for leading me here.

I keep my two adult girls in a 18 by 18 by 24 exoterra. My house gets chilly in the winter, so they do have a heat pad on the back wall of the tank should they desire it.

My least favorite part about having them is needing to clean off everything in the tank frequently because they poop everywhere. Cleaning my other tanks is much easier. My favorite part is that they are low maintenance- if I go a couple days without feeding them it's not a big deal. Also I can not handle them for a month and then just pick them up and let them hang out with me and they are cool with that. I don't have to maintain consistent handling in order to keep them tame. I usually handle them more then that, but if life gets busy I don't feel guilty.

I feed Repashy CGD every other day almost exclusively. About twice a month they get some mashed up fresh fruit or bugs as a treat. I weigh them about once a month to make sure they're getting enough.

Hiya!!! Very Happy Thanks for the info! I'm still really thinking about one. They are so cute and they have so much personality!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crested Gecko..?   

Back to top Go down

Crested Gecko..?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1