VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Does size matter?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Does size matter?   Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:21 pm

I have a large female Albino White-sided rat snake I would like to breed to my corn. They are both breeding size, the girl is currently around 550 grams and the corn is 300 grams. Is she too large for him to start breeding to? She is huge compared to him so I was wondering if it is possible for her to be too big for him. He is a few inches(if not half a foot) over three feet, and she's four feet.(maybe a few inches over)
Advice would be very appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Does size matter?   Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 pm

I don't think size in that contex matters, I have female hogs that are 18-24 inch and the males they breed to are 8-12 at the most.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Does size matter?   Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:16 pm

In our native wild rat snakes sexual maturity occurs after a snout-to-vent length of over 900 mm (~ 3 feet).
Back to top Go down
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Does size matter?   Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:08 pm

So today I introduced them to see if they would get along. My corn(from what I know about him) has never been with another snake, and the rat has been bred before so she is used to it.The big girl didn't really mind him, and just crawled around, not paying any attention to him. But the corn was absolutely freaked out about the situation. He jumped alot when she "landed" on him(she was crawling up the glass, then fell onto him) and I noticed that he, epecially, and her a little bit, did these odd jerky movements. They actually looked liked they were dancing or something. The corn also defecated in the corner, so I took him out and cleaned it up.
Again, this is my first year of breeding. So I was wondering if any of this behavior is common or if I just shouldnt breed the two. I am planning on cooling them, too.
Advice would be very appreciated(and I apologize if I sound very amatuer, because I am, although I have probably read every book and website on breeding corn/rat snakes there is!) Smile
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Does size matter?   Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Are you sure they are sexed correctly? The word "dancing" stuck out and I have heard that word used to describe two males when they are introduced.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
TheSnakeSpectrum
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Does size matter?   Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:34 am

The Rat is definately female, the vendor even showed me some of her babies when I purchased her at the repticon in baltimore. The corn I am not 100% sure about, I'm am trying to find somewhere to get him probed, but it's $70 at the nearest exotic hospital.(I think that's pretty insane). The corn was donated to a pet store from someone who couldnt care for him anymore, and so the pet store "thinks" he's male, but they were'nt really sure. I looked at his tail but it's kinda tricky to tell that way.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Does size matter?   Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Large female hog, albino male...........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does size matter?   

Back to top Go down

Does size matter?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1