VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Baby Eastern Box Turtles!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Baby Eastern Box Turtles!   Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:01 pm

My mom fell in love with some wild box turtles she found on our property in NY. Turns out they laid eggs, so she made a makeshift "cage" around the egg nest so no raccoons or anything could get to them. The babies hatched out and now she wants to keep one. We have painted and red eared slider turtles, but never owned a box turtle. We have done the research of their husbandry but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on raising healthy babies (diet and such). thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Baby Eastern Box Turtles!   Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 pm

This is a good care sheet for neonate box turtles: http://www.boxturtlesite.info/breed.html

http://www.anapsid.org/box.html

Please keep in mind that a box turtle will probably out live your mother and you. This is a life long commitment, that will require decades of feeding, cleaning, specialized UVB lighting and vet visits for routine beak trimming. Once this wild animal becomes a captive, it can never be released back to the wild. While there's are few things more adorable than a baby turtle, it should remain in the wild.
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Baby Eastern Box Turtles!   Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:16 pm

I think an outdoor set up is the best way to go for these guys.
Back to top Go down
b_rickard
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Baby Eastern Box Turtles!   Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:20 pm

all those things aside. The most important thing to do is to make sure she doesn't get into trouble with the game warden! NY most likely has laws against it or permits that need to be obtained. I would most certainly find out about that first because if it isn't allowed even though they are on your property, letting them go would be best. Besides, tell her if she lets them go, maybe in 5-10 years they will still be around and lay more eggs. Box turtle populations are dwindling across their range and taking one can have an impact on the overall local population.
I'm not saying do it or not, just that you need to be sure all your bases are covered.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Baby Eastern Box Turtles!   Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:47 pm

All that aside, the most important thing is the well-being of the animal(s).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby Eastern Box Turtles!   

Back to top Go down

Baby Eastern Box Turtles!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1