VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:22 pm

My regular pet store has been running low on hoppers, so I picked up a 5 small hoppers from Pet Supply Plus in Charlottesville Thursday evening. They looked and behaved fine. I fed two off to my mojave and normal, my het pied refused, so I put the uneaten guy back with the other two in a critter cage with rodent block, water, and a piece of carrot.

I checked on them 18 hours later and I had one dead, one fine, & one acting odd. I separated the pair, disinfected the cage, put in clean bedding and fresh food & water. The odd guy went from being lethargic with squinty eyed to breathing heavy, moving around erratically and seaming to not have full control of its back limbs and dying with 2 hours.

I disposed of the critter cage the sick one was in. The 5th mouse which was fine is in a critter cage on the deck with 2 other hoppers I picked up from a different pet store before coming back home @ that 18 hour mark.

The 5th hopper seems to have diarrhea.

I would just return them all to Pet Supplies Plus, but I picked them up near where I work and live 45 mins from work. I'm off for 3 days. I've already called and given them an earful this morning.

My mojave and normal are acting fine. Should I be worried about the snakes, am I overreacting? Does anyone have experience with feeding potentially bad mice? Should I cull the last 3 or give them a couple days? If so, what's the easiest method to cull them? I've rotated these guys between 3 critter cages. Will bleaching the last 2 cages be enough to disinfect them or should they be thrown away as well? Anyone near Staunton able to sell/spare live fuzzies or hoppers?

I have a breeding quartet of rats (all seem fine), I'll be so glad when they finally drop pups and I don't have to deal with this sort of thing.

I am so fn mad right now, ugh! This is the first time I've had more than 2 days off since November 2011 and my first day off work in 14 days. Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by derpinah on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:30 pm

I don't think that they were potentially sick with something that could bother your snakes (but I honestly don't know). I can say that the hoppers could have been too small and the litters too big so they were malnourished. Before Pet Forum closed no one else was selling live feeders and the ones at Pet Forum always had like 20 pups per mom so they were always malnourished, small and often had maloclusions, perhaps Pet Supplies Plus is doing the same thing.
Back to top Go down
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:56 pm

I liked the guys at Pet Forum, I never had a problem with mice or cricket feeders from them. Their husbandry could've used working on. One of the managers at Pets N Pals in Staunton said there were lease issues and the previous owner was behind on rent and wouldn't let them renew the lease. Then again, all this was around the same time that they had that huge burm in the store, then reports of them having a snake loose, followed shortly after by a burm was spotted in the same parking lot eating a possum.

I talked to the manager @ Pet Supply Plus this morning, they don't breed the mice they sell. They receive weekly orders from..ugh, I can't think of the name now and I didn't write it down, a place that starts with a "W". These extra small mice/hoppers went from being perfectly fine to 2 dead in less than a day. When I saw the first dead mouse, I though it might have been failure to thrive, but when the 2nd mouse started it's zombie eyes and dub step dance, I can't think it's anything but some sickness. After Rodent Pro's fiasco last month, this scares the snot out of me.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 pm

Was the critter cage yours or was it recently picked up?
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
Lokielani
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 pm

I had been going to Pet Forum forever, and other than husbandry and the occasional weird person they hired I didn't have any issues with them. I know it has gone through a lot over the years (Pete selling, and then taking it back, selling again etc.) and it just went really down hill there toward the end. They ordered a lot of their feeder rodents (not sure where from) but they never looked all that healthy to me (I've worked with research rodents for the last 10 years), but then again you never know, people look at things differently. Working with mice for a long time, they go down quickly and it's hard to save them after the fact. I hope your last one does ok and you should contact the company they order from and see if they can provide you a serology report which would give you the most recent tests/examinations that were done on their colonies. Since what happened with Rodent Pro, I'm sure companies will be on top of their game for a while.
Back to top Go down
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Jabberwocky Dragons wrote:
Was the critter cage yours or was it recently picked up?

I got it used, but I've been using it for 2+ years as a travel cage or holding cell for uneaten rodents or crickets. I always clean it with soapy dawn water then a vinegar or bleach soak. My smallest critter cage, I bought new and it's soaking in bleach now. The mid sized one, I threw out last night because I was so angry.

Lokielani wrote:
I hope your last one does ok and you should contact the company they order from and see if they can provide you a serology report which would give you the most recent tests/examinations that were done on their colonies. Since what happened with Rodent Pro, I'm sure companies will be on top of their game for a while.

I'll ask the manager about that when I get my refund. I don't think I'm comfortable getting anymore mice from them. I'd never know if they disinfected their mouse tank to my standards or just sold off the mice and added more. I've only dealt with feeder mice and my new rat quartet, I'm still learning about rodents. Thanks for your input Smile
Back to top Go down
Shelleyshadows
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:29 pm

I HATE Pet Supplies Plus. The one in VA Beach has terrible customer service. I asked for a small live mouse and the kid working there argued with me, saying mice only come in one size. Then he proceeded to call me an idiot right in front of his manager when I went to complain. She got me my small mouse and told me that the employee was new, still no excuse for him to call me an idiot, though.

Not to mention, any time I've attempted to buy a light bulb from there, they never work. I do all my business with Pet Paradise now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=755407926
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:17 pm

Mice are very susceptible to upper respiratory infections. This will not effect your snakes because they are cold blooded. This can however effect other mice and rats. Anything that was used for the mice should be cleaned with a bleach solution and all surfaces near where they were should be wiped down good. If you notice any of your other feeders wheezing or sneezing I would personally go ahead and euthanize them. Since the only way to help the mice live is to put them on antibiotics and most people don't wanna pay for those just to keep a few feeders alive.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:07 pm

Guys, just a remind that this is not a BOI forum. If you are having problems with a seller, I encourage you to post on the BOI. There you will have to have some documented form of proof of your issues. We really aren't prepared at this forum for these kinds of threads.

Also, please remember that when you post these types of posts you may be harming someone's livelyhood.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:20 am

Katlin is right, keep them far away from your other rats if you haven't.

I would euthanize them using vinegar and baking soda (the easiest method if you don't have a CO2 setup).

Get a gallon sized ziploc, put about a half cup of baking soda in it. Fill a coffee cup up with vinegar and set it in the ziploc, but don't spill it yet. Take some vinyl tubing and put it in the zip-loc. Seal the bag. With your rats in a separate container, add the other end of the hose and seal off that container. Once ready, slowly spill the vinegar in the bag into the baking soda. Do this in moderation and the CO2 will channel into the rat chamber.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:23 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
derpinah
Established Member
Established Member

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Focal wrote:
Here you go:

http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/index.php

thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville   

Back to top Go down

Sick Mice @ Pet Supply Plus Charlottesville
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1