VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Don

PostSubject: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:54 pm

I just ordered about $300 of frozen rats from a new supplier Loxahatchee Rodents and am glad I bypassed my previous supplier Rodent Pro:

RodentPro- Zoonotic disease warning
For several years our facility (Kentucky Reptile Zoo) purchased rodents from RodentPro. While less than completely pleased with their customer service from time to time, we did not have any major problems.

In May, three things occurred:
1. We were informed they would no longer be providing live mice after the May delivery (we met them in Louisville, about a 2 hr drive for us, so we could get live things.)
2. They did not have several hundred rats that we needed.
3. I attempted to purchase quail. I was told they were increasing their quail colony and did were not selling any. I asked if there was any way I could get 2-5 extra males, as I had one snake that would not eat anything other than quail and he was already thin. Casey flat out refused to provide even 1 quail. I was quite irritated at this - how could there not be any extra males, surely they could help out a long term customer who spends several thousand dollars per month with them??? But no, no quail for this one snake.

Due to these three things, we decided to look for rodents elsewhere.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I received a call from the epidemiologist for our county, who informed me of the following:
1. The CDC was looking for people who had purchased rodents from Rodent Pro, particularly in May of this year.
2. Rodent Pro rodents were found to be diseased with Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis, which is a zoonotic disease with potentially serious consequences, especially to those who are immune suppressed and pregnant women. You can google this disease and see the CDC information about it.
THE VAST MAJORITY OF HEALTHY ADULTS WHO CONTRACT THE DISEASE RECOVER FULLY.
3. They wanted to visit us today to see our purchase records from Rodent Pro.

They did visit us today and talked to us about the situation. We are not sure if we received diseased rodents or not. We provided them with our purchase records and are supposed to be told if there is a problem within a day or so.

I am not aware of any of our employees having any health issues in relation to this situation. However, I do not yet know if we will need to discard any live rodents that we have and also discard any remaining frozen rodents.

I have been informed that frozen rodents pose a very small risk. However, this risk is not zero. If you purchased frozen or especially live rodents from rodentpro this spring or summer, you might want to contact your health department and find out if you should be concerned.

I AM NOT TRYING TO SCARE ANYONE UNDULY-- HOWEVER I FEEL MORALLY OBLIGATED TO NOTIFY THE COMMUNITY THE BEST I KNOW HOW.
Especially since Rodent Pro made completely zero effort to contact us about the problem. Below is the letter I am mailing to them today.

I will update as I find out more info.

Here is the letter:

"July 31, 2012

Kevin Bryant
RodentPro
PO Box 118
Inglefield, IN 47618

Dear Kevin,

Yesterday we were contacted by our local epidemiologist, who visited us today in regards to rodents from your facility carrying lymphocytic choriomeningitis. I do not yet know if any rodents we received from you were carrying this disease, but they have taken copies of our invoices from you and are supposed to contact us soon to let us know.

I’m sure that this situation is not news to you. I am writing to express my extreme disappointment and displeasure that you made absolutely zero effort to contact us to inform us of this situation. As I have learned in the past 24 hours, this disease is zoonotic and can cause serious illness, especially to those who are immune suppressed and to pregnant women. Even though the risk is low to healthy adults, I now find myself in the position of having to back track and attempt to figure out if anyone was exposed. It is absolutely unconscionable that you would allow any of your customers to continue to use and work around these animals without providing some sort of warning to them. I can not imagine what absolute lack of ethics and morals you must possess to be so lax in your professional responsibility to your customers.

If we did receive any of the diseased animals, we are going to have to euthanize and discard our entire live rodent colony, as well as discard any remaining frozen rodents that we received from you. I estimate this loss will be roughly $1000, which we can ill afford but it is better than continuing to put ourselves and our employees at risk. The monetary loss is aggravating but pales in comparison to the betrayal I feel at how you handled this situation.
Rest assured that you will never do business with us again. I tolerated the moderate quality of customer service for several years because we could get live rodents from you, but I will not do business with anyone who has proven themselves to be so utterly devoid of basic human decency.

In addition, I will be posting a copy of this letter to the Board of Inquiry on Faunaclassifieds.com. I will do this because there are probably large numbers of people who purchased rodents from you at shows. I have been told the risk of transmission from frozen rodents is very low. However, very low is not zero and these people deserve to be informed that the risk exists. Since it is clear you do not feel it is necessary to inform your customers of this risk, I will do it for you. I find that my personal morals will not be satisfied until these people are notified in some way.

Please realize that while I would have been concerned and disappointed in this situation regardless, I would have been much more understanding if you had made any effort at all to notify us of the problem when it occurred, which to my understanding was in May of 2012. I am not sure when you found out about the problem, but I know that you knew prior to today, when I am finding out about it. Large colonies of animals are by nature susceptible to disease outbreaks and this disease is present in the wild rodent population. However, dealing with such an outbreak responsibly and professionally would have gone a very long way towards preventing any potential problems that may now arise.

Kristen Wiley, Curator
Kentucky Reptile Zoo"
Back to top Go down
http://www.PlethoraOfPythons.com
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Good on Ms/Mrs. Wiley for spreading the word. Thank you for posting this here.

I am hoping everything turns out well for anyone and everyone who unfortunately did business with RodentPro.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/siobhan.sprouse
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:11 pm

Wow this is not good!
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:22 pm

Seriously not good! I was recently looking into ordering from Rodentpro. Glad I saw this. They will definitely not be getting any of my business!
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Ouch, that BOI thread is getting pretty heated... :/ The Fauna BOI is so scary XD
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:56 pm

Stray I know what you mean. I've seen my name in threads a couple of times and had a real sinking feeling. Turned out they we're good guy threads, but seeing your name on that forum is unsettling. They joke about the wolf pack but it is real and relentless. You have to have your stuff together to defend yourself or make an accusation.

However, that site also provides a valuable service to the reptile community. So it cuts both ways.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:00 pm

I love watching the BOI, I love what it does, but man it is hit-and-miss. Sometimes a seemingly well-intended poster turns out to be the villain. It's got more twists and turns than a Stieg Larsson novel.

I mostly just haunt it and watch things go horribly wrong lol!
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:27 pm

The health of many vs basically rodent pro wallet. The possible exposure to people is greater then some may realize. Rodent Pro sell to pet stores also. Which then sells to the public.
Alway stand by your product, but if its bad be man enought to step up and tell people. Hay something's wroung what can I do to fix I.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:58 pm

It isn't looking 100% and it probably isn't anything to worry about, but hopefully the pet store gets back to me soon to let me know whether they order from RodentPro
Back to top Go down
allaboutthekings
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:33 am

Makes me happy i breed my own feeders
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:52 am

I do too. So I might have to euthanize all of them, dispose of them and start over
Back to top Go down
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:21 am

I feel lost about what Stray is referring to. The BOI thread? Maybe its the fact its 6:00AM. XD
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:32 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:36 am

It's the Board of Inquiry on Fauna.

I'm amazed how lightly some people there are treating this.... "the alleged threat of this alleged virus." It's a very serious and potentially lethal virus, no "alleged threat" about it. I think the lawsuits will begun soon, probably first from the infected employees.

http://www.farmworldonline.com/news/NewsArticle.asp?newsid=14991
Back to top Go down
http://www.JabberwockyDragons.com
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:15 am

As of right now no difinitive proof has been put before them that proves there ever has been a virus. I suspect there was but the boi is not a place where people start burying a person without copies of emails, statements from the accused, or statements from an expert.

As of right now some guy says he works at a zoo and that he was contacted by the CDC. One internet article appears to corroborate. If you are immunosupressed or pregnant or have frequent contact with someone who is I would act. If not, let's see how things work out.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:05 am

I disagree, two different people who work at different zoos said they were contacted by the CDC plus the article. If the two people are lying, they will be open to an open and shut civil lawsuit for slander. Where's their gain for lying? Others have stated that Rodent Pro has drastically cut their production in the past few months.

Unless if Rodent Pro sends out an email or posts a notice, I don't see how there could be an email trail or statement. When I worked for Organ and Tissue Bank, the government didn't send out an email, they would appear on our doorstep ready to do an inspection. Any company email's of that nature are generally confidential anyway. This is all inline with what's been said.

If nothing else, Rodent Pro's silence on the matter is very disturbing. I would imagine that after all the emails and phone call's they received on the matter that they would immediately be posting"It's not true" if it wasn't.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:13 am

I agree that its extremely suspicious, but its not difinitive yet.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 am

If you read the article that Nick posted, it talks about a facility in southern Indiana that had an infected building that housed 13,500 adult rats and 156,000 adult mice. It states there were 52 employees. It states that they ship out 20,000 to 30,000 rodents per day. There is only one facility in that area that I know of that fits the description.

RodentPro has been notified of the thread on BOI and how the news has gone viral. They have not denied it. And, there is no mention of false rumors on their website.

I think it is getting pretty clear that they had a huge issue and handled it badly.
Back to top Go down
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:57 pm

I wish there was a list of Pet stores that carry Rodent Pro.
Back to top Go down
Don

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:05 pm

I think Petco buys from them. At least that is what someone on the BOI posted. Also, someone else posted that RodentPro has admitted it, and is working on a statement.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:22 pm

Don wrote:
I think Petco buys from them. At least that is what someone on the BOI posted. Also, someone else posted that RodentPro has admitted it, and is working on a statement.

Took them long enough.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Pet paradise usedto order from them.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:48 pm

http://www.kingsnake.com/blog/archives/952-RodentPros-Official-Statement-Pertaining-To-LCMV.html

RodentPro's official statement, posted through USARK, The Reptile Report and Kingsnake.
Back to top Go down
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:50 pm

Took them a bit to release it eh?
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:57 pm

iagree Would carry a lot more wight if done at the time.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:00 pm

I agree. At the same time, at least they did address it. A lot of businesses would have just ignored it and made it seem a hundred times worse.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Stray wrote:
I agree. At the same time, at least they did address it. A lot of businesses would have just ignored it and made it seem a hundred times worse.

I think that's exactly what happened! They did ignore it until it blew up in their face on the BOI.
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:56 pm

iagree
Back to top Go down
smd58
VaHerp Board Member
VaHerp Board Member

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:56 pm

iagree opps how this happen?
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Perhaps they felt that since all but 14 customers were unaffected (and they had contacted those 14) they did not need to release a statement to everyone. This was one of many suppliers and it seems that they did not even own the facility.

And though it seems like they have ignored us for a long time, I think it bears noting that this first came to light at 2:30 pm this Monday. They posted their response no later than 4:30 today. A two business day turnaround is not atrocious.

It seems to me that they BOI was right to not open up a can of whatever non playground friendly thing they open up.

They're kind of like Batman, the BOI: They're anonymous and skeptical, it's not always clear whether they are on the side of good or evil, and they hold grudges till the cows come home. But at the end of the day they keep Gotham Cit....er, I mean the herpin world free from jokers and other jerks.
Back to top Go down
Jabberwocky Dragons
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 pm

I dunno, I count 3 months since the incident occurred, not 2 business days. Maybe 2 business days since they were caught with their pants down. 3 months is a pretty significant lag. The OP on the BOI was one of the 14 customers so clearly they were not made aware that it was this isolated. If it even was that isolated... I'm not exactly inclined to trust Rodent Pro from this point forward after the botched job they did handling this. They cared absolutely nothing for the health of their customers who were affected.
Back to top Go down
Stray
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:37 pm

Wow, I really stopped watching the BOI. I had no idea that many people had called them on it. My bad! lol In that case, it does seem kind of shady...
Back to top Go down
Kittiekat149
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:12 am

They only addressed it because of how big it blew up in their faces. To think that if Ms. Wiley from the Kentucky Reptile Zoo hadn't posted everything and wrote the letters she did everyone would still most likely be in the dark about the situation still.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak   

Back to top Go down

CDC-Investigates RODENTPRO for Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis Outbreak
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1