VaHerps.com
Welcome to VaHerps!!

Please feel free to create an account and post to the discussion and classified forums. If you have any problems registering, please email me at Focal@VaHerps.com

User accounts must be activated by Admin and may be delayed. Please do NOT create a second account if you already have one and contact the email above for any questions.

Thanks!

Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation; Every possession, a duty. -John D. Rockefeller

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Snake bath and beyond

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Snake bath and beyond   Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:53 pm

So one topic I never really crossed over, even with my parents who kept reptiles, was giving snakes a bath. My kingsnake is getting ready to shed. (Her eyes just cleared up after getting all bluish) And I have heard some people say that you should give them a nice soak in the tub. I always supply her fresh water in a bowl that is big enough to house her body in. That seems to have been adequate with the reptiles I have had in the past but is there really something to giving snakes a bath? Any advice, hints, tricks or whatever would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Has she been having good sheds? If so, I would just keep doing what you are doing. I don't know much about colubrids, but I generously mist my ball pythons during their shed cycle. Other than that, no soaks unless they have a bad shed or constipated.
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:38 pm

This is my first shed with her. (Sorry should have included that) But I will keep my eye out to how her shed goes. I know she isn't constipated.
Back to top Go down
Focal
VaHerps Janitor
VaHerps Janitor

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:47 pm

I'm sure short baths wouldn't hurt them thoug. I think laying in it for long periods may lead to belly rot (scale rot?)
Back to top Go down
http://www.FocalBallsAndBoas.webs.com
smb2585
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Only time we did baths was for stuck sheds... otherwise we mist during shed cycle as well.. but we only have BPs and are still learning.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Sometimes my kids aren't happy enough to just poop, they feel the need to redecorate the entire tank like they just defacated magical wallpaper paste.

In that case it's into the bath they go. a fifteen to thirty minute bath hasn't caused problems with us, but a temp gun is a must. I don't know how many times I've gone to check the temp and the water's been too hot or too cold by waay too much.
Back to top Go down
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:11 am

I knew with BPs to mist while they are shedding but I haven't read anything similar to kingsnakes. I am sure it wouldn't hurt as long as I don't go overboard on it eh?

Blackbox: What would be an appropriate temp for a bath for a snake? I assume something in the lukewarm range? I also need to get my hands on a temp gun.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:03 am

The main reason to mist is to increase humidity levels. If the enclosure humidity is in the proper range for the animal, then there is no reason to mist. If you raise the humidity level too much, for too long your snake will probably end-up with a respiratory infection. Typically when misting an enclosure you spray the sides of the enclosure and not the animal itself (unless there is a reason to do so).

If your kingsnake isn't having issues shedding, constipated or has another medical issue that requires it, I would not bathe the snake. If you feel you must, a water temperature of about 80 degrees F works well. This will feel cool to your hand and should be checked with a thermometer before adding the snake.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 am

I generally shoot for 84 to 88 degrees. I would not go lower than 80 or higher than 90. Our vet has also recommended baths as part of the fight against an r.I.

But the idea that baths are mandatory for a simple thing like shedding seems kind of riddiculous. If temps and humidity are there and he has a water bowl I would not worry about a bath.
Back to top Go down
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Well she should be shedding any time now so I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all of the advice!

I was just asking around because some people swore by giving their snakes baths and some said to not do it unless absolutely necessary.
Back to top Go down
jw
VaHerp Board Member+
VaHerp Board Member+

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:39 pm

BlackboxStar wrote:
I generally shoot for 84 to 88 degrees. I would not go lower than 80 or higher than 90.
I would assume that the temperatures listed are for your tropical ball pythons? For subtropical snakes, these temperatures are too high.

Back in the day, I bred Cal, eastern, mole and jungle corns. Scott Stahl managed the health and medical needs of my collection which peaked at about 200 snakes.
Back to top Go down
BlackboxStar
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Oh yes I should have mentioned that
Back to top Go down
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 pm

No worries. Smile I figured he was referring to his bps.
Back to top Go down
ClarkeReptiles
VaHerp Senior Crew
VaHerp Senior Crew

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:59 pm

With my king snake, I do not bother to mist her. The humidity in this apartment fluctuates between 40-50% and she's never had a bad shed since I got her. If the humidity in your house is on the lower side, I would mist, but otherwise, you can just let him/her be. Soaking I only use for ball pythons or boas with a bad shed.
Back to top Go down
http://clarkereptiles.weebly.com/
rocialhabit
VaHerps Crew
VaHerps Crew

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:18 pm

The humidity in her tank is generally between 40-50% so I am good on that part. There have only been a handful of times I have misted her tank to get it up a bit higher.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snake bath and beyond   

Back to top Go down

Snake bath and beyond
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1